When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, so the saying goes. When life gives you an 11th hour cancellation of the holiday you had been longing for AND your dog gets injured three days later... you make a giant s'mores tart. Look, I really don't even want to get into it. August started with bird poop landing on my head and it has gotten steadily and progressively worse. At this point I am literally wishing summer comes to end because it has not been my friend. I need some sort of karmic exorcism to clear out the bad juju and usher in a new season of good things happening. Or, at least, no more bad things happening - I will settle for that, happily. Keep fingers and toes crossed for me, will ya?
So let's not talk about the bad stuff and let's concentrate on this very good, utterly delicious and super easy s'mores tart. It requires few ingredients, practically zero effort and it is OMG to die for. If you want to be crowned 'best! mum! ever!' (or whatever title applies to you, obvs) then just make this. All you need is: store bought pre-rolled puff pastry, Nutella or chocolate chips, and marshmallows. That's it. If you are feeling fancy, you can brush a little beaten egg and sprinkle the tart with some sugar... but if you don't, no one will complain. They will be too busy gobbling this up!
I used giant marshmallows to top this - found at Tiger in the UK - but you can use normal sized or mini marshmallows. Nutella or any type of chocolate spread works a treat as filling but so do chocolate chips. I think the trick with this type of recipe is not to overcomplicate it! Even the photography for this took 20 minutes - normally I agonise for hours.
Three-Ingredient S'mores Tart
1 packet pre-rolled puff pastry
about 2-4 tbsp Nutella or couple handfuls milk/dark chocolate chips
8 giant marshmallows, sliced or use normal or mini marshmallows
1 egg lightly beaten (optional)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (optional)
2. Unroll your puff pastry, keeping it on the paper it is wrapped in. Cut in half, trimming the edges if necessary. Transfer onto a baking tray.
3. Fold in each edge to form an one inch border. Prick inside the border with a fork. If using the egg, brush the edges and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar (optional).
4. Bake in the middle of the oven until the pastry is puffed and golden 10-12 minutes. Press down the middle to flatten. Change the oven setting to grill (broiler) and move the shelf to near the top.
5. Spread with Nutella (you may need to warm it in microwave or oven so that it is easy to spread - the tart shells are delicate) or fill the centre with a handful of dark and milk chocolate chips.
6. Slice the marshmallows in three pieces (if using giant ones) or two if using normal sized ones – alternatively use mini marshmallows. Cover the centre of each tart with the marshmallows.
7. Put the tarts under the grill (broiler) and watch them very closely. As soon as the marshmallows start to brown, within a minute or two, remove them from the oven.
8. Serve while fairly hot so that the marshmallows are still gooey and soft.