This Oaty Apple Crumble combines soft cinnamon apples with a crunchy oat topping. This healthier apple crumble is both delicious and deeply comforting! Make it in the oven or your slow cooker.
You will also love my Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Apple Crumble or Apple Crisp – whatever the name, sign me up! I adore the contrasting texture of soft cinnamon spiced apples with the crisp, crunchy oat topping.
It’s a delicious and versatile recipe – serve cold and call it breakfast baked oats (!), serve warm with ice cream and you have an indulgent dessert.
HEALTHY APPLE CRUMBLE
You can’t beat a crumble for pure comfort! This healthier crumble cuts down on the fat and sugar but keeps all the flavour.
I used Sukrin Gold (another good option is Swerve Sweets Brown) in this recipe to keep the calories down. It has no aftertaste and I really can’t tell the difference between it and brown sugar! By all means use soft brown sugar or maple syrup if preferred.
It’s a suitable for Slimming World at around 250 calories per serving (without toppings), with pecans used as a healthy extra. What’s more, this you can make it as a vegan apple crumble and it can be gluten free too! Try serving with fat free yogurt or ice cream plus a drizzle of Sweet Freedom Caramel Syrup!
OAT CRUMBLE TOPPING
Oats are traditionally used to make Apple Crisp in the US and I am so on board! They make a fabulous crumble topping – nutty, crunchy and healthier too!
Use rolled oats (or quick cooking oats) not the jumbo variety and check they (and the scant amount of flour) are gluten free if that is a concern.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE WITH OAT TOPPING
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Peel, core and slice the apples and toss with the lemon juice. Place in a baking dish and top with the Sukrin or sugar, cinnamon and pinch of flour. Dot with the butter, if using.
Add the oats, Sukrin, flour and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Rub the butter in using your fingers until the oat crumble topping forms clumps.
Sprinkle the topping over the apples to cover. Add the chopped pecans and nutmeg. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 -30 minutes or until the apples are cooked through and topping is golden.
Serve warm with pouring cream, custard, yogurt, ice cream or frozen yogurt. Add a drizzle of salted caramel for extra wow factor!
Slow Cooker Apple Crumble
You guys know how much I love my slow cooker! I had to try and make a Crockpot Apple Crumble and let me tell you it’s so easy.
Bake the crumble in a baking dish – check it fits in your cooker first! – or directly in a 3.5L slow cooker (I used my new Tower Scandi Slow Cooker!). Cover the slow cooker with a clean kitchen towel so that no condensation drips on your topping.
Make a “sling” using two strips of foil to make it easy to lift the dish out of the cooker.
You can eat this apple crumble plain but it tastes even more delicious topped with vanilla yogurt ice cream, pouring cream or custard.
There’s plenty of vegan options too from whipped coconut to soy yogurt or ice cream.
Watch your toppings if you are on Slimming World / Weight Watchers – serve with fat-free yogurt or no fat ice cream.
Crumble Tips & FAQs
VARIATIONS Use a combination of apples and blackberries or rhubarb to change things up! You can also use pears, peaches, plums or berries if you prefer.
STORING You can keep any leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving. We never have any leftovers mind you!
If you’ve tried this Apple Crumble recipe or any others on the blog then please leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes. I can’t wait to see your take on it!
Healthier Apple Crumble with Oat Topping
- 6 sweet apples peeled , cored and sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Sukrin Gold or brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp self-raising flour optional
Oat Crumble Topping
- 90 g (1 full cup) rolled oats I used Quaker Oats
- 3 tbsp Sukrin Gold or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp vegan butter / butter
- 50 g (⅓ cup) chopped pecans or almonds / walnuts (optional)
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Peel and slice the apples and toss with the lemon juice. Place in a baking dish and top with the Sukrin or sugar, cinnamon and tiny bit of flour.
- Add the oats, Sukrin, flour and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Rub the butter (or vegan spread) in using your fingertips until the oat crumble topping forms clumps.
- Sprinkle the topping over the apples to cover. Top with the chopped pecans and nutmeg.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until the apples are cooked through and the topping is golden.
- Serve warm with pouring cream, custard, yogurt, ice cream or frozen yogurt. Add a drizzle of salted caramel for extra wow factor!
Slow Cooker Apple Crumble
- Check your baking dish fits into your slow cooker first! Fold two strips of foil to create a “sling” and place in the slow cooker in a cross formation.
- Peel and slice the apples and toss with the lemon juice. Place in a baking dish and top with the Sukrin or sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Add the oats, Sukrin, flour and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Rub the butter in until the oat topping forms clumps.
- Sprinkle the topping over the apples to cover. Add the chopped pecans and nutmeg.
- Lower the baking dish into the slow cooker and cover with a clean kitchen towel then add the lid.
- Cook on the HIGH setting for 2-2 ½ hours or until the apples are cooked through.
- Lift carefully out of the slow cooker using the foil sling and serve.