This Crock Pot Chicken Pie recipe produces a great meal that the entire family can enjoy. The best part? It requires just a few simple steps and no browning. Serve with super-easy crescent roll “pie” tops.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Busy nights and cold weather can make for a stressful dinner time, so what better time to find a simple recipe that offers a complete meal with reliably fantastic results? This Crockpot Chicken Pie recipe is just the thing!
The secret is in the method. Classic chicken pot pie usually involves a lot of stovetop cooking to make the pot pie filling, spooning the filling into a pie dish, topping with puff pastry and baking in the oven.
This easy recipe creates the comfort food of a chicken pot pie that we love, full of tender chicken in a creamy sauce, but with minimal effort – especially when you use ready-to-bake dough for crescent rolls!
Next time you’re looking for a comforting meal ready-made for a busy weeknight, why not take a couple of hours to prep this easy chicken pot pie on a weekend so it’s on standby?
INGREDIENTS FOR CROCKPOT CHICKEN PIE
This slow cooker chicken pie recipe uses chicken thighs and a host of fresh veggies. Try out different options and make it your own. Technically we are making the “insides” of chicken pot pie in the slow cooker and adding the pie topping after.
Chicken: We love to use chicken thighs for this recipe but you can also use boneless chicken breasts if you prefer. The darker meat on the chicken thighs is more tender and produces maximum flavor. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover roast chicken of course.
Vegetables: We include a wide range of vegetables, from carrots, leeks and butternut squash to fresh corn off the cob, but you can try other options like green beans or snow peas (and you can always throw in a few frozen veggies like frozen peas!).
You will also need: Chicken broth or stock, soy sauce, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, pepper and seasonings. A little cornstarch slurry and double cream will thicken and enrich the chicken pie.
HOW TO MAKE CROCK POT CHICKEN PIE
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
STEP 1 Add the chicken broth to the crock-pot, followed by the soy sauce and the tomato paste. Stir well and top with the chicken thighs, diced bacon and half of the salt, pepper, herbs and seasonings.
STEP 2 Add the shallots, leeks, carrots and butternut squash and don’t forget a bay leaf. Sprinkle with the remaining seasonings. Set your slow cooker on HIGH for for 2-3 three hours or LOW for 4-5.
STEP 3 Remove the cooked chicken using a slotted spoon. Shred or dice the chicken. Stir the cornstarch slurry and the heavy cream, followed by the cooked shredded chicken into the slow cooker.
STEP 4 The final pie filling result should have a creamy consistency. Cooking time can vary depending on how quickly you want the food to be ready.
BAKE THE CRESCENT ROLL PIE TOPS
STEP 5 Preheat the air fryer or convection oven to 180°C / 360°F. Cut the ready-to-bake crescent roll dough into evenly sized medallions. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with grated Parmesan and mixed herbs.
STEP 6 Bake them for 12-13 minutes, flipping them over halfway through if using an air fryer. The top crust should be golden brown and have the texture of a baked biscuit.
SERVE AND ENJOY!
Serve the pie mixture topped with the crescent rolls. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container or resealable bags in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
RECIPE TIPS & FAQS
Do I have to use the ready-to-bake crescent roll dough?
Not at all. Some people opt to cover the pie filling with a single layer of puff pastry or even their own homemade pie crust so they truly claim to be making homemade pot pie! You can also use homemade or or store-bought refrigerated biscuits.
Can I use condensed soup for added flavor?
Some people swear by cans of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup to boost their chicken pot pies, but it’s not essential, especially when you’re using a slow cooking method. Chicken stock with some cornstarch slurry and cream will give you the right consistency.
HERE ARE SOME MORE CROCKPOT RECIPES TO TRY Next time you’re looking for some comforting slow cooker recipes to warm up your whole family, why not try:
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pie filling
- ½ cup (125ml) chicken broth or stock made using stock cubes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (tomato purée)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- 3 ½ oz (100g) bacon diced (lardons)
- 3 banana shallots or 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 leeks white parts only, diced
- 14 oz (400g) butternut squash , peeled and cubed
- 2 cobs corn , kernels
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp cold water (cornflour)
- 3 tbsp cream , or more if preferred
- 1 bay leaf
For the crescent rolls
- 1 tube crescent roll dough (Jus Roll)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
Make the chicken pie filling
- Combine the salt, pepper, herbs and seasonings.1 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic and herb seasoning, 1 tsp dried mixed herbs, ½ tsp ground pepper
- Add the chicken broth to the crock-pot, followed by the soy sauce and the tomato paste. Stir well. Top with the chicken thighs, diced bacon and half of the salt, pepper, herbs and seasonings.½ cup (125ml) chicken broth, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 6 chicken thighs, 3 ½ oz (100g) bacon
- Add the shallots, leeks, carrots and butternut squash and don’t forget a bay leaf. Sprinkle with the remaining seasonings. Set your slow cooker on HIGH for for 2-3 three hours or LOW for 4-5.3 banana shallots, 3 carrots, 2 leeks, 2 cobs corn, 1 bay leaf
- Remove the cooked chicken using a slotted spoon. Shred or dice the chicken.
- Add the cornstarch and the heavy cream, followed by the cooked shredded chicken. The final pie filling result should have a creamy consistency.1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp cold water, 3 tbsp cream
Make the crescent rolls
- Preheat the air fryer or convection oven to 180°C / 360°F. Cut the ready-to-bake crescent roll dough into evenly sized medallions. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with grated Parmesan and mixed herbs.1 tube crescent roll dough, 1 egg, 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp mixed herbs
- Bake them for 12-13 minutes, flipping them over halfway through if using an air fryer. The top crust should be golden brown and have the texture of a baked biscuit.
- Discard the bay leaf and taste the pie filling, adding salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the chopped parsley and serve the pie mixture topped with the crescent roll medallions.3 tbsp flat leaf parsley