My Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is THE perfect comfort food meal. It’s so easy to make, deliciously creamy, with meltingly tender beef.
A true family favorite you will want to make again and again! This pressure cooker Beef Stroganoff recipe is Keto friendly, low carb and can be made gluten free also.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
I love a good beef stroganoff – and I make it quite frequently. But I think I am more in love with this Instant Pot Stroganoff…
Unlike the traditional recipe which is made with thinly sliced steak, this beef stroganoff is made with chuck steak or braising steak.
This makes it much more economical if you are serving a family, which can only be a good thing, right? OMG you guys, this is a killer Beef Stroganoff with SO MUCH flavor (and so few ingredients).
The pressure cooking seals in all the goodness and turns the beef into fall-apart, melt-in-mouth wonder. Serve over noodles, rice or potatoes, depending on your diet preferences!
I honestly think I am slightly addicted to the creamy Stroganoff sauce… which is full of yumminess thanks to the beef broth, worcestershire sauce, mustard and a smidge tomato paste.
The sour cream, which is added at the end, transforms the sauce from delicious to just amazing! I seriously could eat it by the spoonful.
If your sour cream tends to curdle when added to the sauce then stir in a little of the sauce before adding to the pot. Low fat sour cream tends to separate so best use full fat dairy products.
HOW TO THICKEN YOUR STROGANOFF
Cooking in the Instant Pot can sometimes result in a LOT of sauce that needs a little thickening. A lot of Stroganoff recipes use flour to thicken the sauce and sometimes I do too.
For a keto / gluten free version you can replace the flour with Xanthan Gum, which will thicken the sauce and give it a very nice gloss. Worth remembering that the sauce will thicken a little as it cools.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
I used an Instant Pot Duo Nova Pressure Cooker in this recipe. Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Combine the beef broth, mustard, minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste.
Heat butter and oil in your Instant Pot using the “Sauté” function. Wait until the butter has melted and add the onions. Cook, stirring, for five minutes until slightly softened.
Add the mushrooms – I used a mix of button and wild mushrooms here, slicing some and leaving smaller ones whole. Cook the mushrooms, stirring, for a couple of minutes then add the salt, pepper and flour. If you want to make a gluten free beef stroganoff then leave out the flour.
Stir in the cubed beef and add the beef broth. Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, allowing 10 minutes for natural pressure release. Do a quick release of remaining steam.
Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed. If you think the sauce needs to be thickened, then stir in the Xanthan Gum / cornstarch slurry and cook for a few minutes (selecting “Sauté”). Stir in the sour cream.
Serve your Stroganoff over noodles, rice, potatoes or cauliflower mash for a low carb option. You can keep in the fridge for up to two days, adding a little milk when reheating if the sauce needs to be thinned down.
CAN I MAKE THIS IN THE SLOW COOKER?
Originally I wanted to make a slow cooker beef stroganoff but I left it late in the day so switched to the Instant Pot to make it speedier.
It can be made in a crockpot with equal success and the slow cook method is fuss free and so easy. For best results you should brown the beef and cook the onions and mushrooms first.
But I will let you in on a little secret… Even if you just chuck everything in your slow cooker and turn it on, this Stroganoff will still taste awesome. Check out the recipe card for more details.
MORE TASTY INSTANT POT RECIPES
Instant Pot Brisket
Instant Pot Vietnamese beef stew
Pressure cooker Guinness beef stew
HAVE YOU MADE MY INSTANT POT STROGANOFF RECIPE? Please leave a rating, post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 cups (480ml) beef broth use 3 cups (720ml) if you like A LOT of sauce!
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp all purpose flour (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , sliced
- 2 cups (250g) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds (900g) chuck steak, cubed
- ¾ cup (185g) sour cream full fat
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
To thicken the sauce you can use ONE of the following
- 2 tsp Xanthan Gum (omit flour if using)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp cold water
- Combine the beef broth, mustard, minced garlic, worcestershire sauce and tomato paste.
- Heat butter and oil in your Instant Pot using the “Sauté” function. Wait until the butter has melted and add the onions. Cook, stirring, for five minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the mushrooms – I used a mix of button and wild mushrooms here, slicing some and leaving smaller ones whole. Cook the mushrooms, stirring, for a couple of minutes then add the salt, pepper and flour. If you want to make a gluten free beef stroganoff then leave out the flour.
- Stir in the cubed beef and add the beef broth. Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, allowing 10 minutes for natural pressure release. Do a quick release of remaining steam.
- Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed. If you think the sauce needs to be thickened, then stir in the Xanthan Gum / cornstarch slurry and cook for a few minutes (selecting “Sauté”).
- Stir in the sour cream, add the chopped parsley and serve over noodles, rice, potatoes or cauliflower mash for a low carb option.
Quick- easy and delicious!!! I highly recommend this one pot wonder!!
Made this tonight and it was really good. Used a pound of stew meat as that’s what I had on had, halved the amount of broth but used the same amount of others access ingredients and added a splash of A-1. Thanks!
Scrolling to the bottom for the recipe is really annoying.
Lucy Parissi says
There’s a “jump to recipe” option right at the top of each recipe
Deeeeeeeeeelicious! Simply delicious, I’m new to the instant pot experience and i’ve gotta say, something about the pressure cooking brings out the flavors in the ingredients perfectly. I’ve learned that since cooking this way, I use much less salt for flavoring.