You will love this slightly sweeter and totally addictive margarita with muddled basil and blueberries.
It’s very hard to believe that nearly a year ago we were holidaying in Cancun. That whole trip, organised by my wonderful sister in-law, had a slightly unreal edge to it.
I mean it is very out of character for us to be on holiday in May, let alone a holiday so far from home. It was a chance for my husband’s family to meet Sam for the first time and for the kids to meet their six very tall and handsome cousins.
The week passed in a flash – a blur of swimming, cocktails and loads of food. But although the food was plentiful, it had a sort of ‘international’ feel – most of the Mexican food I ate at the resort didn’t really taste very authentic.
Neither did the cocktails – sacrilege – they were mostly watered down versions of the classics which, given the fact they were served actually in the pool from 11am, was probably a blessing in disguise.
Seeing as it is Cinco de Mayotomorrow I thought I would share a new recipe to mark the occasion. Classic Margarita contains tequila (100% agave preferably), lime juice and orange liqueur and is usually sipped through a salt rim.
My Blueberry Basil Margarita is a slightly mellower version of the original made with muddled blueberries and basil leaves and sweetened with a little agave nectar. It is so good you won’t mind the little bit of extra work it requires.
And if you like this recipe, make sure you check out the Blueberry Gin Sour one too!
LOVE BLUEBERRIES? TRY THESE RECIPES!
Have you made my blueberry basil margarita?
Blueberry Basil Margarita
- flaked sea salt
- 150 g | 5.3oz blueberries fresh or frozen
- 2 measures 50ml | 1.7fl oz tequila
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp triple sec or Grand Marnier
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 small basil leaves
- basil leaves and lime wedges to garnish
- Cut a wedge of lime and wipe it around the edge of your glass – either a margarita glass or whatever you prefer. Dip the glass into a plate filled with sea salt and set aside.
- Put the blueberries (defrost them if frozen), agave nectar, basil leaves and lime juice in a cocktail shaker or glass and muddle them with a muddling spoon or the end of a rolling pin. Strain the blueberry pulp through a small sieve and press down with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible from the berries.
- Put the tequila, triple sec and blueberry juice in cocktail shaker half filled with ice and shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into the prepared glass and add some cracked ice if you like. Garnish with a lime wedge and a small basil leaf.