Need some new cocktail inspiration? Meet my Aperitini – a refreshing but potent cocktail made with Campari, Aperol and Tequila with an optional sparkling Prosecco top up! Lovers of the Aperol Spritz will enjoy this modern take on the classic cocktail.
You will also love… my Beergarita
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
The current “stay at home” orders have given rise to some intense cocktail experimentation, in our household at least!
After all there are only so many margaritas you can enjoy before starting to think outside the box!
Here I have combined my love of tequila with my passion for the Negroni and Aperol Spritz… I have dubbed my new ‘quarantini’ the Aperitini!
Here’s what you will need
An Italian bitter Aperitif dating back to 1919. Intense orange colour with a sweet/bitter flavour thanks to a secret mix of botanicals including cinchona, rhubarb, and gentian. Aperol has a relatively low ABV of 11% and is best mixed in a spritzer.
Another classic bitter Italian liqueur composed of a mix of spices, herbs, grain, spirit and sugar. This bright red liqueur ranges from 20-28% ABV and is bracingly bitter with a taste of bitter orange. Campari is a must for any drinks cabinet and especially for lovers of the Negroni and Americano.
I used Silver Tequila in my Aperitini (see also Blanco | Plata | White | Platinum) which is clear and unaged. You can also use Mezcal for a smokier cocktail – totally delicious!
If you want to turn this strong cocktail into a mellower drink you can top it up with a shot of ice-cold Prosecco.
You will also need
Fresh orange or mandarin juice and a dash of orange bitters (if available). If you love your drinks on the sweet side then you can add a little sugar syrup to balance out the bitterness of the Campari. A slice of orange and rosemary sprigs to garnish.
HOW TO MAKE AN APERITINI
Half fill your cocktail shaker with ice. Add the Aperol, Campari and Tequila.
Add the fresh orange juice (or mandarin juice) and shake hard for 30 seconds. Have a taste of the cocktail and check if you need to adjust – perhaps you need to add the sugar syrup?
Strain into two chilled coupe glasses. Top with chilled Prosecco, if desired.
Garnish with a slice of orange and sprig of rosemary and enjoy!
- Replace the tequila with vodka – the drink will have less of an edge to it. I love it as much with vodka if I am honest!
- Double the Aperol and leave out the Campari if you prefer a sweeter cocktail.
Other cocktails you may enjoy
- 1 ½ oz (40ml) Silver Tequila
- 1 tbsp Aperol
- 1 tbsp Campari
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice or more, to taste
- 1 tsp sugar syrup if you prefer a sweeter drink
- dash orange bitters optional
- chilled Prosecco to top up
- orange slice to garnish
- rosemary sprig to garnish
- Put a couple glass in the freezer to chill.
- Fill your cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and then add the Aperol, Campari, Tequila and orange juice.
- Shake hard for 30 seconds. Have a taste – do you need to adjust for sweetness? Add the sugar syrup and shake again.
- Strain into the chilled glass. Add a drop of orange bitters and top up with chilled Prosecco. Garnish with a slice of orange and small sprig rosemary and enjoy.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.