The Pornstar Martini is a refreshing passion fruit cocktail made with vanilla vodka, Passoa and lime juice served with a shot of Prosecco or Champagne on the side.
This seductive flavoured martini is probably notorious thanks to its risqué, name. Whatever the name, this passion fruit cocktail served with a shot of Prosecco on the side is both super delicious and photogenic!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Remember the days of lingering in dimly lit cocktail bars, ordering Pornstar Martinis and giggling with friends? Sigh…
Until bars are open again and socialising is encouraged we may have to just settle for making this refreshing cocktail at home! In fact I love it SO MUCH I have made a Pornstar Martini Cake!
Luckily the Pornstar cocktail is an easy drink to shake up at home – and a very popular one in our house! I can’t wait to have friends over again so I can live up to my cocktail queen title 🙂
What’s in a name
The Pornstar Martini has probably shot up in popularity thanks to the provocative name – it supposedly is the most popular cocktail in the UK!
The Porn Star Martini was created by Douglas Ankhra (of LAB bar and later Townhouse fame) and it was originally known by another name – the Maverick Martini. The creator named it after a disreputable gentleman’s club in Cape Town.
He later changed the name to reflect the “evocative and tantalising” essence of the cocktail, perhaps influenced by the passion fruit. The cocktail remains wildly popular – take a look at a list of Leeds bars giving their twist on the the Porn Star Martini!
What’s in a Pornstar Martini
Here’s what you will need to make this refreshing cocktail – also known as a Rock Star, Movie Star, and Passion Fruit Martini. Remember you can also give it your own special twist!
- Vodka or Vanilla vodka (such as Absolut Vanilia or Stolichnaya Vanil Vodka)
- Juice from fresh passion fruit or store-bought purée. If using store-bought purée you might need to adjust the lime juice and leave out the sugar syrup. Commercial passion fruit purées are a lot sweeter generally than the fresh fruit
- Passion Fruit Liqueur, such as Passoa. There aren’t many passion fruit liquor alternatives to Passoa but you might want to try this Boe Passion Gin which would replace both the vodka and the Passoa in this cocktail recipe
- Fresh lime juice – optional, to cut the sweetness
- Simple syrup (sugar syrup)
- Vanilla extract, paste or even a fresh vanilla pod or make a simple vanilla sugar syrup if you can’t get vanilla flavoured vodka
- A large shot of chilled Prosecco or Champagne served on the side
- Fresh passion fruit slice to garnish
How to make a Pornstar Martini
Take a look at this step by step tutorial – please note you will find the full recipe, including ingredients in the recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP 1 CHILL THE GLASSES Put two martini glasses (<– these are the ones in the photos) in the freezer to chill.
STEP 2 EXTRACT THE JUICE Slice the passion fruit and scoop out the seeds into a small sieve set over your cocktail shaker. Press on the seeds with the back of a spoon to extract the juice. Alternatively scoop the pulp directly into your shaker – a lazier option!
STEP 3 GET SHAKING! Half fill your cocktail shaker with cubed ice. Add the vodka, passion fruit liqueur, lime juice, sugar syrup and vanilla extract (if using). Shake hard for 30 seconds. Taste your cocktail – is it too sweet or too sour? Adjust the lime juice or sugar syrup (a.k.a simple syrup/ gomme syrup).
STEP 4 READY TO SERVE Strain the cocktail into the chilled glasses and garnish with a thin slice of passion fruit. Serve the shots of Prosecco on the side. Snap a couple of Instagram shots and enjoy!
How to drink a Porn Star Martini
The first time I was presented with one I was a bit perplexed by the shot served on the side. According to the creator you were supposed to scoop out and eat the passion fruit garnish, drink the Prosecco, then sip the cocktail at your leisure.
I have to say that sparkling wine doesn’t really lend itself to drinking as a shot! I have seen plenty of people pour the Prosecco into the martini, and usually do this myself.
A few readers have asked if it is possible to make a Virgin Pornstar Martini – I know that really sounds like an oxymoron in more ways than one! While you can’t quite imitate the flavour of the cocktail without any alcohol you can still make a very refreshing drink.
Simply add 60ml (1/4 cup) passion fruit juice (or purée), 80ml (1/3 cup) cloudy apple juice, a tablespoon each of lime juice and Monin Premium Passion Fruit Syrup and a few drops of vanilla extract into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Shake for 30 seconds and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of fresh passion fruit and serve with a shot of chilled alcohol-free sparkling wine on the side.
Make the PERFECT Pornstar Martini!
USING FRESH PASSION FRUIT One large passion fruit contains approximately one tablespoon of strained juice and two tablespoons of pulp. Passion fruit with slightly wrinkly skin are a little sweeter than the smoother ones. If you can only find smooth ones then store them for a couple of days until the skin gets all crinkly!
You can add the pulp of the passion fruit directly into your shaker instead of extracting the juice first. Make sure to double strain the drink using a cocktail strainer when serving.
USING STORE-BOUGHT PASSION FRUIT PUREE You can replace the fresh passion fruit with store-bought purée. The only slight drawback is that they usually come in large containers and need to be used quite quickly. Monin and Funkin Pro (<– this would be my preference) both do versions, available on Amazon.
TOP TIP: Bottled passion fruit purée can be very sweet – you might need to adjust how much to add to your cocktail. Always taste before serving and adjust by adding a little lime juice to balance the drink if needed.
WHAT ABOUT THE VANILLA VODKA? You don’t really need it, simply add a couple of drops of real vanilla extract (used in baking) or scrape the seeds from a vanilla pod. Alternatively you can make vanilla simple syrup (see recipe notes). Vanilla can be an overpowering flavour so make sure not to add too much!
More refreshing cocktails
- 4 fresh passion fruit aproximately 60ml /2 fl oz of juice
- 100 ml 3 ½ fl oz Vodka or Vanilla vodka
- 2 tbsp Passoa liqueur (passionfruit liqueur)
- 1 tbsp lime juice or more to taste
- 1 tsp sugar syrup (optional – adjust to taste)
- Drop of vanilla extract (leave out if using Vanilla vodka)
- chilled Champagne or Prosecco to serve on the side
- 1 fresh passion fruit , sliced or halved to garnish
- Put two martini glasses in the freezer to chill.
- Slice the passion fruit and scoop out the seeds into a small sieve set over your cocktail shaker. Press on the seeds with the back of a spoon to extract the juice. For a lazier option scoop the passion fruit fresh directly into the shaker.
- Half fill your cocktail shaker with cubed ice. Add the vodka, passionfruit liqueur lime juice, sugar syrup, vanilla extract and shake hard for 30 seconds.
- Dip a straw into your drink and have a taste. Is it too sweet or too sour? Adjust by adding lime juice or sugar syrup as needed.
- Double strain the drink into the chilled cocktail glasses and garnish with a thin slice of passion fruit.
- Serve with shots of chilled Prosecco or Champagne on the side.
Passion Star Martini tips and FAQs
- I can’t find fresh passion fruit – what can I use instead? You can replace the fresh passion fruit purée with store-bought versions. The only slight drawback is that they usually come if large containers and need to be used quite quickly.
- I don’t have Vanilla vodka – you don’t really need it, simply add a couple of drops of real vanilla extract (used in baking) or scrape the seeds from a vanilla pod. Alternatively use homemade vanilla simple syrup, recipe below.
- Do I pour the prosecco into the cocktail? The prosecco or Champagne is meant to be drunk on its own and served on the side. You can certainly pour it into your martini if you prefer, I usually do.