A refreshingly tangy take on is Brazil’s national cocktail, this Passion Fruit Caipirinha is perfect for summertime.
Passion fruit loves will adore the cheeky Pornstar Martini!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
This Passion Fruit Caipirinha is meant for sunny weather and lounging outdoors. But if the sun proves elusive, there’s enough complexity in this cocktail to keep you entertained indoors maybe while looking through a holiday brochure and longing for that summer getaway.
I love cachaça, the base spirit for caipirinhas, but it can have a bit of a hard alcoholic edge if not tempered with a little sweetness – this is were the sugar comes in.
But if the sugar is not fully dissolved when you are muddling the lime you can end up with an unpleasantly crunchy cocktail.
So put some elbow grease into the mudding – hey you are getting a bit of an arm workout as well as a cocktail. Win-win!
I love passion fruit with a, well, passion and they work incredibly well in many cocktails. If you don’t fancy scooping out the flesh and then straining to extract the juice there are really good brands of passion fruit purée out there.
I like to use the fruit so I can get some of the beautiful seeds into the cocktail but there’s no question that the pre-packed purée is much less work.
Passion Fruit Caipirinha
- 1 large lime cut into wedges
- 1 tsbp golden caster sugar granulated or Demerara sugar
- 100 ml | 3.3fl oz cachaça 4 measures
- 3 passion fruit
- Scoop the flesh out of the passion fruit and then sieve to extract the juice. Reserve some of the seeds for adding to the cocktail if you like.
- Put the lime wedges and sugar in a large glass or jug and muddle until the limes have given up all of their juice and the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Add the passion fruit juice and mix together. Taste and adjust with a bit more sugar or lime juice until the balance is right.
- Add the cachaça and stir together. Fill two glasses with plenty of ice and then divide the cocktail (lime wedges and all) between them. Stir in some of the reserved passion fruit seeds if desired.
My new go-to cocktail! Adding passion fruit is such a good twist. Seriously delicious drink!
Jenna @ SipBiteGo.com says
I love passion fruit in a cocktail – it’s pretty rare to find it!
This…looks…amazing. I have had a tough week so slide one over here!!!