The Scofflaw is a classic bourbon-based cocktail. This lovely drink was named after those who scoffed the law by drinking during the Prohibition.
Bourbon lovers will also like the Cherry Bomb
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
We need to have a word about The Scofflaw. Because it is OH SO GOOD. This is the type of cocktail that after you make it for the first time you go knock on your neighbour’s door and say “come over you must try this!”.
Then, I swear to you, you have an impromptu party on your hands. This is the kind of drink you introduce to bartenders on a night out which they then proceed to add to their menu on the spot (true story).
We discovered the Scofflaw via The Spirits book (my favourite cocktail bible) I have been going on and on about recently.
A scofflaw is someone who ‘scoffs at the law’ by drinking illegally and since this cocktail was created at Harry’s Bar in Paris during the prohibition the name is nothing short of inspired.
But back to the Scofflaw… The first time I made this I had no grenadine and so I used pomegranate molasses and a little simple syrup in its place. This works quite well and makes for a slightly less sweet – and less pink – cocktail.
The original recipe also calls for the Scofflaw to be strained into a chilled cocktail glass – not served on the rocks.
Since this is quite a strong drink I don’t mind a little ice (especially when it is star shaped!) but I will leave the serving up to you.
The Scofflaw – a must make bourbon cocktail
- 30 ml | 1oz bourbon
- 30 ml | 1 oz dry vermouth used Noilly Pratt
- 15 ml | 1/2oz lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp grenadine
- dash orange bitters used Angostura bitters
- lemon twist to garnish optional
- Chill a martini or coupe glass in the freezer. Alternatively use a rocks glass (as pictured).
- Add everything to a cocktail shaker half filled with ice and shake hard for 30 seconds.
- Strain into your chilled cocktail glass or serve in a rocks glass with ice. Garnish with a lemon twist.