Red wine hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream topping – an indulgent hot drink that’s definitely for grown ups only!
Of all the outrageously chocolatey recipes on this blog, this red wine hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream topping is probably the most indulgent. Red wine hot chocolate? Yup!
File it under ‘this should not work but totally does’ and keep it up your sleeve for when you want to impress in a hurry. Because this hot chocolate is so rich, it definitely bridges the gap between hot drinks and dessert.
And it is definitely a grown up drink – the red wine instesifying the taste of the hot chocolate and bringing with it a bit of a kick.
While I served this in tall latte glasses, in reality you would probably want to serve it in small glasses or cups to create four servings instead of two. I used Merlot wine – a bottle that had been opened and used in cooking. It would not make sense to use really expensive wine here, but don’t go the other way and use really cheap stuff either.
A full-bodied red like Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon would be the best pairing with the dark chocolate chips. I added sweetened whipped cream, mini marshmallows and chocolate sauce – because, once you add red wine to hot chocolate, what would be the point of holding back on the toppings? 😉
This would be the perfect drink to have after a long chilly walk or instead of dessert on Valentine’s Day.
- 240 ml | 1 cup whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 120 ml | 1/2 cup red wine I used Merlot
- 100 g | 3 1/2 oz dark chocolate chips
- 2-3 tbsp honey or to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150 ml | 5fl oz double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- mini marsmallows to serve
- chocolate sauce store-bought to serve
- Put the double cream and icing sugar in your stand mixer and whisk until you have firm peaks. Alternatively use whipped cream from a can.
- Put the milk, wine and cinnamon stick in a saucepan and heat gently until hot but not boiling. Remove the chinnamon stick.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and use a small balloon whisk to stir them until completely melted. Stir in the honey and check for sweetness.
- Carefully pour the chocolate into two large glasses or four small cups.
- Pipe or spoon the cream over the top, add a few marshmallows and a drizzle of chocolate sauce and serve immediately.