Surprise your Valentine with these delicious heart-shaped chocolate eclairs with vibrant berry glaze and fairy sprinkles! Post sponsored by We Bake.
It’s that time of year again… The time when all things heart-shaped pop up everywhere from cards to emojis to cakes. Whether you find Valentine’s Day hopelessly romantic or unbearably saccharine, the fact remains that we could all use a little extra love and affection. And when that affection comes in the form of heart-shaped chocolate eclairs with berry glaze you can bet no one will have any complaints! 💖
Another reason to indulge in some Valentine’s Day baking is to show off your skills on We Bake site taking part in their ‘bake something special for someone special’ Bake Brighter Days community challenge. If you are not familiar with it, We Bake is the community that rewards you for baking and allows you to connect with other enthusiasts. Imagine the love child of Facebook and Instagram but with 100% baking content. Everyone is welcome, from experienced star bakers to complete novices and it is a great way to interact with like-minded people, get inspiration and advice and maybe win some great prizes. As you can see from my recipe, you can get as creative as you like and We Bake is giving away a £50 Red Letter Days Voucher every day, so you’ve got lots of chances to win if you enter. So dust off your apron, set up a profile and get baking!
Making heart-shaped eclairs is not terribly hard, although not all will turn out perfectly – the eclairs will puff up as they bake and any imperfections in the piping will be magnified. But, if you pipe carefully, you will have a few perfect hearts and once you fill them with chocolate pastry cream, drizzle with the berry glaze – this amazing colour is all-natural! – and add the beautiful Dr Oetker Fairy Princess sprinkles you will have the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert on your hands!
- <b>For the eclairs</b>
- 250 ml water
- 50 g unsalted butter plus extra to grease the baking parchment
- 150 g flour sifted
- 3 level tbsp cornflour sifted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- rapeseed oil for frying
- <b>For the pastry cream</b>
- NOTE: Double the recipe to fill 10 eclairs generously
- 375 ml | 12 1/2 fl oz whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 | 5.3oz Dr Oetker Fine Cooks' 72% Extra Dark Chocolate
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- <b>For the glaze</b>
- 500 g | 10oz icing sugar
- 50 g corn syrup
- 100 g | 3 1/2 oz frozen red berries
- 4 tbsp lemon juice plus extra if needed
- enough water or lemon juice to create a thick glaze
- Dr Oetker Fairy Princess sprinkles to decorate
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a pot of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornflour, eggs and vanilla extract using a balloon whisk.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk until hot but not boiling.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the bowl while whisking to avoid curdling the eggs. Whisk together until well mixed.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until the cream thickens.
- Take off the heat and stir in the melted chocolate/butter.
- Place cling film directly on the surface to stop a skin from forming. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).
- Put the water and butter in a saucepan. Heat until the butter melts and mixture comes to a boil. Take pot off the heat.
- Add the flour/cornflour and vigorously stir until they come together into a smooth ball of dough. Put back over low heat and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the dough into your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. And the sugar and beat together until mixed in and the dough has cooled down slightly.
- Gradually add the eggs into the dough while mixing on low speed. The dough will separate initially but then come together again. It is ready when shiny and hanging in a long strip from the beater.
- Beat in the baking powder and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip.
- Grease three large pieces of baking parchment with a little butter and then pipe large hearts, spaced well apart, on it.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed, golden and crisp. Take out of the oven once crisp and poke holes on the underside to release the steam. You will need to bake in batches. Cool before filling.
- Transfer the pastry cream into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip and fill the eclairs carefully (you will need to enlarge the wholes with a chopstick). Alternatively slice them in half, pipe the filling and sandwich together.
- Strain the juice from the berries. Mix all the ingredients for the glaze together until is thick, glossy and just pourable.
- Put the eclairs on a wire rack set over a roasting tin and drizzle the glaze over them.
- Add Fairy Princess sprinkles while the glaze is still fresh. Serve immediately.