If you are in need of near instant chocolatey gratification – or in need of dessert in a hurry – this chocolate Nutella mug cake has your back!
The weather has been windy/sunny/cloudy/rainy lately – all in a single day. But for all these extremes, it has still been reasonably warm. This morning however there was a real chill in air and it felt that summer had finally departed, for real this time.
I was seriously craving something warm and sweet after my morning dog walk and so I decided to dust off my recipe for chocolate Nutella mug cake – a real chocolate cake ready in 5 minutes!
Is there anyone who hasn’t experimented with microwave cakes at one time or another? I have had my fair share of mug cakes in halls of residence in college when I was desperate for something sweet and did not have an oven. The concept is great in theory, but, in reality, most are either too dry, too explosive, or just plain bland.
The trick, I think, is getting the consistency and cooking time just right. I am happy to report that this chocolate Nutella chocolate mug cake hits all the right spots. It is just cakey enough, chocolatey, sweet (but not overly so) and altogether delicious.
You simply have to top with some vanilla ice cream and drizzle a little chocolate sauce to take this 90 second wonder from everyday to dessert-worthy. I don’t think anyone would guess you had whipped it up in minutes – and for extra points you can add a little extra Nutella at the bottom of your mug.
The recipe below makes 4 but you could halve it to make 2 generous servings instead. The cooking time of 80-90 seconds is based on a 800-W microwave – if yours is different wattage you might need to adjust the cooking time. The size of your mug will also affect this – generally speaking any mug or bowl will work, but take care not to overfill.
- 150g | 1 cup self-raising flour
- 110g | ½ cup light brown sugar
- 45g | ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 250ml | 1 cup Greek yoghurt or natural yoghurt
- 125ml | ½ cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 8 tbsp Nutella, divided
- vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)
- chocolate sauce to serve (optional)
- Mix the vegetable oil, eggs, yoghurt and half the Nutella together in a bowl.
- Sift in the flour, sugar and cocoa powder and mix together until you have a glossy smooth batter.
- Add a tablespoon of Nutella in the bottom of 4 mugs (depending on their size you might get 5 servings) and add about 3-4 tablespoons of batter on top. Make sure to only fill the mugs just over halfway up as the cake will rise.
- Microwave for 80-90 seconds (my recipe card would not allow me to enter this value!) in a 800W microwave (adjust the cooking time if your microwave has different wattage).
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a little chocolate sauce and serve immediately.