These delicious Chocolate Crêpes are perfect for an indulgent brunch or as a quick dessert and a great way to celebrate Pancake Day! Fill them with hazelnut spread spiked with Amarula Vanilla Spice for a grown up treat.
You will also love… my Double Chocolate Pancakes!
In Collaboration with Amarula
These incredible chocolate pancakes (a.k.a chocolate crêpes if you are feeling fancy) are something special! Perfect for Pancake Day or dressed up with hazelnut and Amarula filling, fresh berries and chocolate sauce!
CHOCOLATE PANCAKE INGREDIENTS
You need the usual suspects (milk, butter, eggs, flour) plus cocoa powder. I love adding some deliciously creamy Amarula Vanilla Spice for the grown ups to enjoy! You will need a non-stick frying pan (or a crepe pan) for pancake success!
- Melted butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Flour (plain /all purpose)
- Cocoa Powder
- Hazelnut spread or you can use peanut butter or other nut spreads
- Amarula Vanilla Spice (available on Amazon and Drinks Supermarket)
- Fresh berries such as strawberries, raspberries etc.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CREPES
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
STEP 1 Add the milk, vanilla, melted butter, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk together with a balloon whisk until thoroughly combined.
STEP 2 Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk them in. Allow the batter to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
STEP 3 Heat your frying pan and wipe with a little butter or oil (or ghee). Pour some batter into the pan and swirl it around so it coats the bottom of the pan. Cook until bubbles form on top and the edges start to brown and curl.
STEP 4 Flip over and cook the other side for about a minute. Put the pancake on a plate lined with kitchen towel. Keep any new crêpes separated by kitchen towel so they don’t stick. Repeat until you use up all the batter, greasing the pan as needed.
STEP 5 Combine the hazelnut spread and Amarula Vanilla Spice and beat together with a hand mixer. Add double cream and whisk until soft peaks form.
STEP 6 Spread some of the filling over the pancakes and add berries (I used strawberries). Fold the pancake into quarters and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
FLIPPING GENIUS PANCAKE TIPS
- If you have a small milk frother you can combine all the ingredients in a measuring jug and use the frother to beat together.
- Strain the batter into a measuring jug to remove any lumps and to make it easier to pour.
- The batter benefits from resting for half an hour but you can also make it a day ahead and keep, covered, in the fridge until needed.
- Make sure your pan is non-stick and grease with butter /ghee or neutral oil, wiping away any excess before adding the batter.
- Use only a small quantity of batter and swirl the pan so it spreads out evenly.
For the pancakes
- 180 ml ( ¾ cup) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 95 g ( ¾ cup) plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- butter, oil or ghee to grease frying pan
For the filling
- 5 tbsp hazelnut spread
- 3 tbsp Amarula Vanilla Spice
- 240 ml ( 1 cup) double cream
- 100 g (1 cup) mixed berries
- 4 tbsp hazelnut spread
- 2 tbsp Amarula Vanilla Spice or milk as needed
- icing sugar powdered sugar to dust
Make the pancake batter
- Put the milk, vanilla, melted butter, sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk together with a balloon whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and whisk them in. Strain the pancake batter into a measuring jug and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Make the filling
- Put the hazelnut spread and Amarula in a mixing bowl and beat to loosen. Add the cream and continue to whisk until you have soft peaks. Keep in the fridge until needed.
Cook the chocolate crepes
- Heat your frying pan and grease with some butter or oil, wiping away any excess. Pour some batter into the pan and swirl it around so it coats the whole bottom of the pan. Cook until bubbles form on top and the edges start to brown and curl.
- Flip over and cook the other side for about a minute. Put the pancakes on a plate lined with kitchen towel. Repeat until you use up all the batter, greasing the pan as needed.
Fill and serve
- Heat the hazelnut spread and Amarula in a saucepan (or the microwave) until you have a pourable chocolate sauce.
- Spread some of the filling over each of the crepes and add a few berries and some chopped nuts if you like. Fold in half and then into quarters.
- Scatter with nuts, drizzle with chocolate sauce and dust with icing sugar. Serve immediately.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.