If you are in need of near instant chocolatey gratification – or in need of dessert in a hurry – this Nutella Mug Cake has your back! Ready in minutes an fancy enough for company.
Chocolate lovers will adore my One-bowl Chocolate Cake
I you are craving something warm and sweet in a hurry, then you can’t go wrong with this Nutella mug cake – a real chocolate cake that’s ready in FIVE minutes!
Is there anyone who hasn’t experimented with microwave cakes at one time or another? I have had my fair share of mug cakes in halls of residence in college when I was desperate for something sweet and did not have an oven.
The concept is great in theory, but, in reality, most are either too dry, too explosive, or just plain bland.
[mv_video aspectRatio=”true” doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement=”false” doNotOptimizePlacement=”false” key=”owjh4zio2pfk5u99uenb” sticky=”false” thumbnail=”https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/v1505408630/xxuacbinegdwjbeo45ep.jpg” title=”Chocolate Nutella mug cake” volume=”70″]
Mug cakes – getting them just right
The trick, I think, is getting the consistency and cooking time just right. I am happy to report that this chocolate mug cake hits all the right spots.
It is just cakey enough, chocolatey, sweet (but not overly so) and altogether delicious.
You simply have to top with some vanilla ice cream and drizzle a little chocolate sauce to take this 90 second wonder from everyday to dessert-worthy.
I don’t think anyone would guess you had whipped it up in minutes – and for extra points you can add a little extra Nutella at the bottom of your mug.
The recipe below makes 4 but you could halve it to make 2 generous servings instead.
PRO TIP: The cooking time of 80-90 seconds is based on a 800-W microwave – if yours is different wattage you might need to adjust the cooking time.
The size of your mug will also affect this – generally speaking any mug or bowl will work, but take care not to overfill.
How to make a Nutella mug cake
More recipes for Nutella lovers
It’s fair to say Nutella is one of my favourite food groups – albeit one that I indulge in pretty rarely. If you love it as much as I do, take a look at these recipes
- Quick and easy chocolate and Nutella trifle an impressive dessert that takes minutes to throw together thanks to store-bought ingredients.
- Ultimate Chocolate and Nutella Cake this is still one of my all-time favourite cakes!
- Chocolate crêpes with Nutella and mixed berries pure indulgence for special occasions.
- Nutella & salted caramel cheesecake – who can say no to cheesecake?
Chocolate Nutella mug cake
- 150 g | 1 cup self-raising flour
- 110 g | 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 45 g | 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 250 ml | 1 cup Greek yoghurt or natural yoghurt
- 125 ml | 1/2 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 8 tbsp Nutella divided
- vanilla ice cream to serve optional
- chocolate sauce to serve optional
- Mix the vegetable oil, eggs, yoghurt and half the Nutella together in a bowl.
- Sift in the flour, sugar and cocoa powder and mix together until you have a glossy smooth batter.
- Add a tablespoon of Nutella in the bottom of 4 mugs (depending on their size you might get 5 servings) and add about 3-4 tablespoons of batter on top. Make sure to only fill the mugs just over halfway up as the cake will rise.
- Microwave for 80-90 seconds (my recipe card would not allow me to enter this value!) in a 800W microwave (adjust the cooking time if your microwave has different wattage).
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a little chocolate sauce and serve immediately.
Hello This is great ! but can you tell if i want to substitute egg what should i add.
Lucy Parissi says
Hi – I haven’t tried it without the egg so I can’t say for sure but 1/4 cup applesauce is meant to be a good substitute for 1 egg. Good luck!
Mrs Major Hoff says
Oh! My boys are obsessed with Nutella, I can’t wait to try this with them. Love something quick and easy!
Lucy Parissi says
My kids were thrilled when I made this! Big hit all-round