This summery Spanish dish of oven-baked potatoes topped with rich tomato sauce makes a great main meal served with sea bass.
Hands up who wants to be on holiday right now? The person jumping up and down with both arms in the air is me. I am quite simply desperate for a holiday, for a change of scenery, for a change of country! I think this is due to missing out on our annual Greek holiday last year – somehow it feels like simply decades since I escaped somewhere else. But since a holiday is not quite on the cards yet, I will be content with making some very summery food – like these Spanish oven-baked Patatas Bravas with sea bass.
Patatas Bravas are normally fried potatoes served with a spicy tomato sauce and other toppings as a tapas dish – meant for sharing. The tomato sauce works great with fish and chicken as well – here I simply topped my sea bass fillets and baked them in the oven. I also baked the potatoes in the oven, spread out over a sheet pan, until crisp and irresistible. And if you need some further inspiration on quick and healthy fish recipes, take a look at my contributions on the Frozen Fish Direct website.
Oven-baked Patatas Bravas with sea bass
- For the tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 400 g | 14oz can chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
- chopped fresh parsley to serve
- 4 sea bass fillets
- 6 large Maris piper potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- olive oil
- Blitz the tinned tomatoes and their juice in a food processor for 30 seconds.
- Prepare the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a pan and sweat the onions for 5 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic, tinned tomatoes, paste, sugar and paprika and bring to a rolling simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 180C (350F). Drizzle olive oil over a large sheetpan and put in the oven to heat up.
- Peel and cube the potatoes and then pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Spread the potatoes on the prepared sheet pan, tossing to coat in the hot oil. Season with salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning them over once or twice so that they crisp up evenly.
- Place the fish on an oiled tray and season with salt. Top each fillet with a spoonful of the sauce and bake for 15 minutes - just pop them in the oven with the potatoes towards the end of their cooking time.
- Top the crisp potatoes with the tomato sauce, add a pinch dried chilli flakes, and garnish with the chopped parsley.
- Serve either with the sea bass as a main or as a starter to share.