You. Guys. What. A. Week.
But anyway it IS Friday which is cause enough for celebration. And having a cocktail in hand makes it so much better. This Cocktail Friday we are going all retro – I blame Mad Men which I started re-watching from the beginning recently. For a series I love so much, I have only watched most episodes once which is almost unheard of – I usually watch or listen to (while I work) the films and TV episodes I like on a loop. I can recite entire episodes of the Gilmore Girls chapter and verse. Mad Men is even better the second time around. Peggy is, of course, the hero of the series not that interloper Don Draper. I ♥ Peggy so much.
The amount of cocktail drinking going on in Mad Men borders on the outright obscene, but it has put me in the mood for Old Fashioneds, Negronis and Gimlets. Campari and Aperol were probably always in residence in a ’70s cocktail cabinet and I happen to have huge affection for both – even though my husband pretty much hates them. Their lurid colouring and bitter taste may seem a tad cheesy but there’s nothing more refreshing than an Aperol Spritz (check out this video on how to make one) or a Negroni. You simply have to pretend you are in Lake Como in the early ’70s.
- The rule, according to the Aperol website, is 3 parts prosecco, 2 parts Aperol and 1 part soda water. Put plenty of ice in a white wine glass (I find this is what makes the cocktail look so dated – use whatever glass you want).
- Add the chilled prosecco and top up with soda water. Put a slice of orange in the glass and stir.
- Fill a rocks glass with ice.
- Pour the spirits over the ice. Twist a slice of orange to release the aromatic oils in the peel and add to the glass
- Add a splash of soda water if you like.