The Dark and Stormy is a a very refreshing drink requiring only three ingredients and no cocktail shaker! Fans of rum will adore this cocktail – perfect for cooling down on a hot summer’s day.
If you love this cocktail you must try my Moscow Mule
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
While I love cocktails of all types, sometimes I am in the mood for something easy going and simple – enter the Dark and Stormy!
You only need three ingredients – Dark Rum, lime and Ginger Beer. That’s the big important thing to remember – use ginger beer, NOT ginger ale.
I have used Old Jamaican Ginger Beer but the Fever Tree brand is also excellent. If you can put up with artificial sweeteners (that’s a big IF) then use diet Ginger Beer to make a Slimming World friendly cocktail (around 6 syns for the double measure of rum).
I could stop myself from messing around a little with the recipe and added a little stem ginger in with the lime. Usually this is served in a tall (highball) glass but I had none so I used rocks glasses.
What’s the best rum for Dark ‘N’ Stormy
This recipe calls for dark rum (as the name would imply) and this cocktail is actually one of a few with a trademarked name!
- Gosling’s Black Seal Rum is the official rum having trademarked the “Dark N’ Stormy” cocktail.
- Kraken Black Spiced Rum – for an extra spicy Dark & Stormy. I am not a huge fan of spiced rum but it works well in this refreshing drink.
HOW TO MAKE A DARK AND STORMY
STEP 1 Put the limes and stem ginger and stem ginger syrup in a cocktail shaker or a bowl and muddle with a clean rolling pin or a muddler. Try and extract as much juice as possible.
STEP 2 Fill a rocks or highball glass with ice then strain the lime/ginger juice over it.
STEP 3 Add the rum and top up with the ginger beer. Stir and decorate with a slice of lime and/or a small slice of stem ginger.
Cocktail Friday: Dark and Stormy
- 2 measures | 50ml | About 2 oz dark rum
- 115 ml | 4oz ginger beer or enough to top up the glass
- 2 limes quartered
- 1 piece stem ginger chopped small (I used Opie’s Stem Ginger)
- 1 tsp stem ginger syrup
- Lime slices and stem ginger to decorate optional
- Put the limes and stem ginger and stem ginger syrup in a cocktail shaker or a bowl and muddle with a clean rolling pin. Try and extract as much juice as possible.
- Fill a tall glass with ice then strain the lime/ginger juice over it.
- Add the rum and top up with the ginger beer. Stir and decorate with a slice of lime and/or a small slice of stem ginger.