Okay. It’s Friday. I am NOT on antibiotics or painkillers (currently – let’s not push my luck too far) and the kitchen remodel is very nearly FINISHED!!!!! If I could, I would fill this entire post with exclamation marks – such is my excitement over a) having a real kitchen again b) not being surrounded by builders 10 hours a day. It is only fitting to celebrate all of the above with a most beauteous blood orange Cosmopolitan.
Blood oranges are all over food blogs and Pinterest and there’s a very good reason for that. Not only does their juice taste incredible it looks gorgeous and the oranges themselves are like fruit of an acid trip – just sheer technicolour madness. Hoping to experiment with the remaining blood oranges in some baking recipes – if they don’t magically end up in a cocktail tonight… I have a sneaking suspicion they will!
Cosmopolitans may seem a bit passé now – they had their heyday in the ’90s – and I must admit I haven’t ordered or made one in years. I think the addition of blood orange gives this cocktail a real taste boost – I wanted to make another the minute I finished my first. If you are in the UK and wondering where to find blood oranges, I got mine from Ocado having searched everywhere for them for ages. Anyway… here’s to Friday, here’s to a finished kitchen! Cheers everyone xxx
- 120 ml | 4fl oz | 1/2 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
- 60 ml | 2fl oz | 1/4 cup cranberry juice
- 80 ml | 2.7fl oz | 1/3 cup vodka I used Żubrówka
- 60 ml | 2fl oz | 1/4 cup Cointreau
- dash orange bitters
- blood orange slices to garnish or orange peel
- Fill two martini glasses with ice to chill them (or put in the freezer for 20 minutes)
- Add all the ingredients to your cocktail shaker together with a large handful of ice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Discard the ice from the glasses and strain the cocktail between the two. Garnish with a ribbon of orange peel or a thin slice of blood orange.