The world is split into two camps. In one camp are those who blithely jump out of bed every morning eager to greet the new day. The other camp is inhabited by zombies who sleepwalk through the first few hours of the day, grumpily staring into the middle distance unable to do much other than grunt. I belong – very firmly – in the second camp. In fact the only thing that gets me out of bed (late, always late) is a freshly made cup of coffee that my husband prepares in order to entice me into the land of the living. The first cup of many.
I love coffee. I mean LOVE it. I don’t think I could function without it. Which is why I am very excited to partner up with Brown Bear to give Supergolden Bakes readers a chance to win their entire range of coffee, an AeroPress (an awesome portable coffee maker) plus their wonderful Luxury Hot Chocolate. Enter this fabulous giveaway via the Gleam entry form at bottom of this post.
The other great thing about coffee is that it pairs remarkably well with baked treats. Especially these espresso caramel cheesecake brownies. I have refrained from brownie recipes on this blog for one simple reason: the are DANGEROUS. Eat a tiny morsel and suddenly you are addicted and half the tray is gone. These particular brownies are so good I am pretty sure they ended the Cold War retroactively (I have been watching The Americans – affiliate link). Please proceed with caution and share responsibly.
Espresso Caramel Cheesecake Brownies
These are gooey, intensely chocolatey with a hint of coffee. The cheesecake swirls are laced with salted caramel but both they and the caramel are optional. The brownies function just as well without them but I think the creamy cheesecake adds an extra ‘wow’ factor.
Makes 15 large squares
115g | 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed
100g | 3.5oz milk chocolate minimum 30% cocoa
125g | 4.5oz dark chocolate minimum 60% cocoa
100g | 3.5oz (caster) sugar
100g | 3.5oz light brown sugar
3 large eggs
100g | 3.5oz plain flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp espresso
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
80g | 2.8oz milk chocolate chips
150g | 5.3oz full fat cream cheese
80g | 2.8oz icing (powdered) sugar
2 tbsp flour
3 heaped tbsp caramel – store-bought or homemade (optional)
1 small egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C | 350F. Line a deep pan (11x7in) with baking paper letting the paper hang over the edges. You also can use a square pan (9x9in).
- Chop the two types of chocolate into small chunks. Place the chocolate and butter into a bowl.
- Bring a small pot of water to a rolling simmer and then turn heat off. Place a bowl on top, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Let the butter and chocolate slowly melt, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Put the eggs and sugar in large bowl and use a hand whisk to mix together. Make sure there are no lumps of brown sugar lurking in there.
- Add a little of the melted chocolate into the eggs and gently whisk together. Gradually add all the chocolate and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, espresso and salt into the chocolate and fold together with a spatula.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold them in.
- Mix the cream cheese, flour, egg, icing sugar and caramel together until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the cream cheese in three parallel lines across the length of the pan. Drag a knife across the cheesecake lines across the with of the pan to create swirls and gently mix the two batters.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or up to 40 depending on pan size. The brownies are ready when mostly firm on top with a slight ‘give’. Test after 30 minutes – a skewer inserted in the centre should come out with a few moist crumbs attached but if batter is still too wet bake for a further 5 mins.
- Turn the oven off, open the door and pull tray part way out. Leave the brownies there until tray is cool enough to handle.
- Put the tray on a drying rack to cool completely. I know it is tempting to try the brownies now but please leave for an hour. They will be much easier to cut and less likely to fall apart.
- Lift the brownies out of the pan using the paper overhang and cut neatly into squares. You can drizzle with a little extra caramel if you want go completely over the top!
Enter to win all of the items below (worth over £60)
> Some entries are mandatory so you have to complete those first before unlocking the rest.
> If no form is showing, please refresh the page.
> Remember you can come back daily for bonus entries.
> One winner will receive the prizes outlined above supplied by Brown Bear Coffee.
> The giveaway ends on 10th July 2014 at 11:59pm.
> The winner will be randomly selected, announced in the Gleam giveaway box and contacted via their provided e-mail address shortly afterwards. Please claim your prize within 4 days of being notified.