Fluffy white chocolate pancakes with roasted strawberries – a special indulgent treat for Pancake Day!
Pancakes are a staple in our house, but even so there’s still a lot of excitement around Pancake Day – the chance to try something different and little more indulgent.
I did some experimenting with different recipes and toppings yesterday to settle on this year’s special pancake.
These fluffy white chocolate and strawberry pancakes are certainly that – a special occasion treat that has both my kids declaring me ‘best mum ever!’😉
Usually it’s my husband who is in charge of pancakes and he likes them really thick and fluffy. Here we have a bit of a difference of opinion – I like fluffly American-style pancakes but not too cakey.
These white chocolate pancakes are a happy medium – tall, but not over the top. I love serving them with roasted strawberries that are juicy and come with their own amazing syrup.
If you have in season strawberries that are ripe and naturally sweet, I would skip the roasting and serve them fresh, maybe with a little softly whipped cream.
White chocolate pancakes with roasted strawberries
- 230 g | 8oz plain all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 ml | 8 1/2 fl oz | 1 cup whole milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g | 3 1/2oz white chocolate chips plus more to serve
- icing sugar to dust
- <b>For the roasted strawberries</b>
- 300 g | 10 1/2 oz strawberries hulled and quartered
- 4 tbsp sugar
- small vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla paste
- juice of half a lemon
- If roasting the strawberries, place in a small tray lined with baking paper and sprinkle with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Add the vanilla pod and roast under a hot grill (broiler) until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly and then drain and reserve the juice.
- Make the pancake batter. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl.
- Mix the milk and lemon juice in a measuring jug and leave to stand for 5 minutes (this will curdle the milk slightly).
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Gradually add the wet to the dry ingredients, mixing with a balloon whisk until just combined.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips. Leave the batter to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat a tablespoon on rapeseed oil in a large non-stick frying pan and wipe with kitchen paper. You will need to keep the pan over medium-high heat, adding more oil if necessary.
- Add half a ladleful of batter and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip over and cook for a minute or so on the other side. Continue until all the batter is used.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the strawberries and a handful of white chocolate chips.
- Drizzle with the reserved strawberry juices, dust with a little icing sugar and serve.