You won’t believe these ‘Pulled Pork’ Tacos are vegan! Jackfruit replaces pulled pork seamlessly in these spicy tacos served with grilled pineapple.
You will also love… my Hearty Vegan Stew
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Last week I made up my mind to try and blog consistently – three times a week and on set days… Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. How hard can it be, right?
Pretty hard as it turns out. Because on top of my blog recipes which I develop and shoot throughout the week – sometimes testing a couple of times before finalising the recipes – I also have freelance work creating content for other websites.
Still I wanted to try and keep to me (self-imposed) schedule so I made these vegan jackfruit tacos.
What is Jackfruit
If you haven’t heard of jackfruit before then you are not alone – it recently started making foodie waves as a plant based meat alternative.
Jackfruit is actually the largest tree-borne fruit in the world – these babies are massive and can weigh up to 100 pounds.
The fibrous nature and mild flavor of young jackfruit means it can be shredded in a similar way to pulled pork and it takes on the flavour of whatever marinade you throw at it.
I bought my young green jackfruit from Amazon – it comes in a tin preserved in brine. If you can, try to find ones that are canned in water, although it’s not the end of the world if you don’t.
I soaked my jackfruit in cold water and rinsed it before cooking. You also have to cut away the hard part of the root before cooking.
Once you rinse the jackfruit and cut off the tough centre, mix it with spices, honey, chipotle paste, pineapple juice and BBQ sauce. Cook until the sauce is thickened and the fruit tender and easily shredded.
Though not essential, it’s worth spending a few minutes grilling the pineapple – intense taste and so pretty!
Serve the pulled jackfruit on mini tortilla wraps and play guessing games with your friends and family when you tell them the recipe is vegan…
Vegan jackfruit ‘pulled pork’ tacos with grilled pineapple
- 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil to fry + extra for the grilled pineapple
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 large red onion sliced thinly
- 2 x 500g | 18oz tins of young green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1 x 400g | 14oz tin of pineapple rings in juice
- 8-10 tbsp smoky BBQ sauce make sure it is vegan
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp chipotle paste depending on how spicy you prefer the dish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp hot chile powder
- 1 red chilli sliced, to serve
- fresh coriander roughly chopped, to serve
- small tortilla wraps to serve
- If your jackfruit is preserved in brine then rinse it in cold water and dry before using. Cut away the hard, woody centres. Place the rest in a bowl.
- Add the BBQ sauce, maple syrup, lemon juice, chipotle paste and spices and mix together.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions and pepper over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit and marinade and cook over medium heat, stirring to coat.
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes and add the pineapple juice once the pan gets a little dry. Continue to cook until the jackfruit softens and use two forks to shred it.
- Heat a griddle pan as hot as it will go and brush with a little oil. Place the pineapple rings on the hot griddle and leave undisturbed for a couple of minutes. Check the underside lifting an edge with tongs and flip once griddle lines appear. Cook on the other side for a further 3-4 minutes, until caramelised.
- Stir some fresh coriander into the jackfruit and serve over small tortillas topped with the grilled pineapple and fresh chilli.