This one-pot Spanish chicken, chorizo and lentil stew is such a perfect comfort food for the colder weather. And what’s more, it cooks in about 30 minutes – perfect for quick midweek meal.
There are SOOOO many things stressing me out right now. So many, that even thinking about them is making me even more stressed. So instead of focusing on them – like my brain seems determined to every night between 3-4 am – I am going to focus on lovely things instead.
Cold weather = perfect excuse to snuggle on the sofa with several cozy blankets, a dog and a glass of wine. Perfect excuse to indulge in some hearty, comforting meals like this one-pot Spanish chicken, chorizo and lentil stew.
Perfect excuse to browse expensive sweaters I can’t afford on Anthropologie online, definitely more affordable clothes on H&M and woolen vintage blankets on eBay. I have a bit of an eBay obsession though so I try not to visit too often!
Getting back into fitness. Don’t imagine I have turned into a gym bunny, because nothing could be further from the truth… But I am currently on week 6 of couch to 5K and managed to go for 25 minutes straight on my last run. I have also joined a local high intensity pilates class which is kicking my butt every week!
Dates with my husband. We don’t often go out in the evenings – with two young kids it can be silly expensive. But we sometimes arrange to spend the day together and go for lunch, brunch or a cinema date. We managed to see Blade Runner 2049 yesterday and I am still on a total high from the totally stunning visuals of this movie. Fingers crossed we manage to squeeze another date in before 2018 (or the next Blade Runner instalment).
Being grateful for online friendships and especially those spilling over IRL. Being a food blogger essentially means working from home, all by yourself, with no one to talk to but the dog. If it weren’t for a supportive online community of other food bloggers on Facebook or Instagram I would probably go bananas.
Podcasts. What did I do before listening to podcasts? I am totally addicted to them especially Food Blogger Pro, Chopped and Hashtag Authentic. I listen to them when I walk Brutus, when I go for runs and when I am working. Do you have any more podcasts to recommend?
Now let’s get back to this one-pot Spanish chicken, chorizo and lentil stew. The recipe caught my eye on a Waitrose mailer and am glad to report it is delicious, easy and ready in about 30 minutes. I added a bit of chorizo to spice it up a bit further… because chorizo is just guaranteed to liven up pretty much any recipe. I also swapped the chicken breasts for skinless chicken thighs as they are much more tender when cooked in a stew. Slice them thinly so that they cook quickly and remove any fatty bits.
You might like these one-pot recipes
Have you made my Spanish Chicken Stew?
One-pot Spanish chicken, chorizo and lentil stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g | 3 1/2 oz cubed chorizo
- 2 red onions sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves sliced
- 400 g | 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 500 g | 1lb 1oz skiness chicken thighs or breasts sliced
- 400 g | 14oz tin brown lentils in water
- 120 ml | 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp black pitted olives sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- fresh oregano or thyme to garnish
- crusty bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chorizo for a couple of minutes until it starts to colour.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken, increase the heat slightly and cook for 5 minutes until it starts to colour.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, stock and olives. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Take the lid off and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and add pepper and salt, if needed.
- Serve garnished with a pinch of dried chilli flakes and a few sprigs fresh oregano or thyme. Make sure to offer some crusty bread on the side and maybe a glass of red wine.