One-pot Chinese chicken and rice – an easy and flavourful recipe that’s going to become your new family favourite!
Love chicken dishes? You must try my Creamy Chicken Pasta
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
You guys is there anything better than one pot meals? I absolutely LOVE them and not just because I am trying to avoid washing extra dishes 😉
There’s magic happening when everything cooks together in a single pot – each ingredient gaining extra flavour from the others. An in the case of this one pot chicken and rice recipe the results are OMG deelish!
Asian Chicken Marinade
I don’t often cook with chicken thighs that aren’t skinless and de-boned, but I must admit they taste a million times better.
Do remove some of the skin if there’s a lot and also some of the fat if the chicken is fatty. The marinade will make the chicken super-flavourful and the slow cooking very moist and tender.
Simply combine honey, garlic, ginger with oyster and soy sauce and marinate your chicken for 2-3 hours or overnight for maximum flavour.
One Pot Chicken and Rice
Once you have marinated the chicken it’s time to make magic happen! Pan fry the chicken thighs until the skin is golden and crispy and set aside.
Time for the vegetables to get a turn in the pan – and don’t forget to coat the rice in the flavourful reserved marinade. After that you can sit back and let this one pan wonder do its thing… Can we say YUM!?
One-pot Chinese Chicken and Rice
- For the chicken
- 8 chicken thighs skin on, bones in
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 2 large garlic cloves minced in a garlic press
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 1 tbsp rapeseed canola oil to fry
- 200 g | 7oz brown basmati and wild rice
- 500 ml | 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large shallots peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper finely diced
- 4 green onions scallions sliced thinly to garnish
- 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp rapeseed canola oil to fry
- Put the chicken and all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl or large roasting bag and toss together. Leave to marinate for 2-3 hours or even overnight in the fridge (covered).
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade shaking most of it off. Reserve the marinade.
- Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole dish. Pan fry the chicken, skin side down first, over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes until golden. Turn over and cook for two more minutes on the other side and set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the butter and oil and sweat the shallots for 7 minutes.
- Add the rice and peppers and stir to coat in the butter/oil. Add the reserved marinade and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Place the chicken over the rice and cover the casserole. Cook for 45-50 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with the chopped spring onions.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA