Slow Cooker Crack Chicken – this low carb creamy chicken casserole with cheese and bacon is totally addicting! A Keto chicken recipe that can be served in so many ways.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
I have been drooling over Pinterest sensation crack chicken recipe for several years… and I finally got round to making it!
Let me tell you this is just as delicious as you can expect a creamy, cheesy, ranch chicken with bacon recipe to be!
KETO CRACK CHICKEN
I actually tried this recipe during my flirtation with the Keto diet – this hearty and super easy chicken recipe is both low carb and family friendly!
If you are wondering what on earth crack chicken even is, then let me break it down for you! It is a combo of tender chicken, cream cheese and ranch seasoning topped with shredded cheese and bacon.
This is a MUST for anyone looking for easy slow cooker Keto chicken recipes and it can be served so many ways.
HOMEMADE RANCH SEASONING
Ranch seasoning is not all that common in the UK but you can easily make it by combining garlic and onion granules, dried dill, parsley and chives plus salt and pepper.
Mixing the ranch seasoning yourself allows you to control the amount of salt and is free of any additives of course.
SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Making crack chicken in the slow cooker is so easy! All you have to do is add skinless chicken thighs to your slow cooker and add your ranch seasoning. Toss the chicken in the seasoning to cover.
Top the chicken with the cream cheese, cover and cook for 3 hours on the HIGH setting or 7 hours on LOW.
Shred the chicken using two forks and mix it with the creamy sauce.
Top with shredded cheese and finely chopped crisp bacon. I used a cheese blend that included cheddar, emmental and monterey jack cheese. Cover the crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
Remove the inner pot from the slow cooker (otherwise your crack chicken will continue to cook and may become dry. Top with the chopped chives and serve!
This crack chicken casserole can be served in a variety of ways, depending on your diet preferences. It is very creamy and rich so a little goes a long way!
- With steamed vegetables such as spinach, green beans or broccoli if you are following a low carb diet.
- As baked potato filling or over rice, mashed potatoes or noodles for a kid friendly option.
- Sloppy Joe style over a toasted brioche burger bun.
- Serve as a dip with crackers or vegetables to keep it keto friendly!
SLIMMING FRIENDLY CRACK CHICKEN??
I know what you are about to ask me… Can I make this recipe Slimming World friendly? You can certainly reduce the amount of syns by making a few simple tweaks.
Use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs. Use a reduced fat cream cheese – not a fat free one as the sauce will separate. Replace the bacon with lean back bacon or turkey bacon and limit the amount of cheese.
STORING AND FREEZING
This creamy ranch chicken will keep for several days in the fridge in a covered container. It is best to heat it in a saucepan over low heat so that the sauce doesn’t separate.
You can freeze it for up to three months, thawing overnight in the fridge before reheating. To be honest we never have leftovers!
CRACK CHICKEN TIPS AND FAQs
- Can I use chicken breasts? Skinless and boneless chicken breasts are great in this recipe. You can also use shredded rotisserie chicken and cook this in the oven (see recipe card notes).
- What vegetables can I add? I prefer to serve steamed vegetables on the side as they can release water and dilute your sauce.
- Can I use low fat cream cheese or quark cheese? I would advise against it as the cheese will probably curdle and ruin your sauce!
- Can I use ranch dressing instead of seasoning? I personally haven’t tried it but I think it would work fine!
- Use 2 scant tablespoons of ranch seasoning (or 1oz pack) instead of the homemade seasoning if preferred (do not use additional salt).
- Do not confuse onion / garlic granules with onion / garlic salt! Your crack chicken will be way too salty if you do.
HAVE YOU MADE MY KETO CRACK CHICKEN? Please leave a rating or comment and let me know how you got on! Post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Looking for more Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Hunters Chicken
- Fakeaway Slow Cooker Doner Kebab
- Slow Cooker Chicken Adobo | Keto / Low Carb
- Sicilian Chicken Soup | Slow Cooker or Hob
Slow Cooker Crack Chicken (Keto Crack Chicken)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp onion powder (NOT onion salt!)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 2 lbs (900g) boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 ¼ cups (280g) full fat cream cheese
- 1 cup (115g) grated cheddar cheese (or shredded cheese blend mix)
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp fresh chives , chopped to garnish
- Add skinless chicken thighs to your slow cooker and top with the seasoning. Toss the chicken in the seasoning to cover.
- Top the chicken with the cream cheese, cover and cook for 3 hours on the HIGH setting or 7 hours on LOW.
- Meanwhile pan fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper then chop.
- Shred the chicken using two forks and mix it in the creamy sauce.
- Top with the cheese and bacon. Cover the crockpot and continue to cook on HIGH for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the inner pot from the slow cooker (otherwise your crack chicken will continue to cook and may become dry. Top with the chopped chives and serve!