Two weeks into the new healthy eating routine! Woo-hoo! Lets celebrate with some cake… no, wait. Scratch that. Let me start over.Two weeks into the new healthy routine and I am not craving cake and sweet stuff too much. I do miss bread though – not just eating it but also the convenience of having toast in the morning or a slice with soup. My children on the other hand are not sure what to make of this new state of affairs, used as they are to regularly coming home to layer cakes, pies or cookies. I think this is why the one time I made some cake last week they didn’t so much eat it as inhale it! Bless their little cake-deprived socks…
This Sunday they had some friends over so I felt duty-bound to bake something – after all I have a reputation to maintain! These chocolate chip cookie dippers are ready in only 30 minutes and they are completely irresistible. Even more so if you serve them with chocolate marshmallow fondue sauce! I had to refrain from eating any but I did try a bite or two – for quality control purposes you understand. This is the perfect thing to serve at a birthday party – I can guarantee that children (young and old) will love it!
I should mention that I used up the leftover Christmas chocolate in the sauce – so a few Santas were sacrificed for this recipe. I would strongly recommend you use dark chocolate (or a mix of dark and milk) as it tastes much better. I also used mostly wholegrain spelt flour in the cookies but I think it made them too crumbly so I have adjusted the recipe accordingly.
Chocolate chip cookie dippers
- 95 g | 3.3oz unsalted butter at room temperature
- 150 g | 5.3oz soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 150 g | 5.3oz plain flour
- 90 g | 3.2oz wholegrain flour or spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- handful milk chocolate buttons
- For the marshmallow chocolate sauce
- 150 g | 5.3oz dark chocolate chopped small
- 150 ml | 5.3fl oz whole milk or cream
- 300 g | 10.5oz mini vanilla marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat the oven to 180C | 350F. Line a small deep-sided tin (28x17cm/11x7in) with baking paper, letting the edges overhang.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Add the egg and beat to combine. Stop the mixer and scrape the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and beat to combine. The dough should form a ball around the blade.
- Press the dough into the prepared tin and then press chocolate buttons over the top in straight lines - bearing in mind that you will cut the cookie into slices.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes until the edges start to colour. Cool slightly then remove from the tin and carefully slice with a sharp knife. Spread the slices on a baking tray and return to the (turned off but warm) oven to dry out slightly.
- Prepare the sauce. Gently heat the milk and vanilla until small bubbles appear around the edge of the saucepan then pour over the chopped chocolate. Let it stand for a couple of minutes then stir so the chocolate melts.
- Return to the pan and add the marshmallows – stir over low heat until the marshmallows melt. (You can also heat in the microwave on medium setting in short bursts.)
- Serve the cookies with little pots of the sauce so that everyone can dip to their hearts content!