One of the first things my husband and I bonded over was our love of breakfast. On a memorable visit to his hometown of Montreal (years ago) we used to visit Eggspecation almost daily and linger over enormous plates of french toast with bacon and scrambled eggs, french orange juice and endless cups of coffee. Lingering over breakfast and two young children are virtually mutually exclusive – our solution is to have breakfast for lunch on weekends. Not quite the same, I will grant you that, but on the plus side you can eat more (unless your son decides your food tastes amazing whereas his doesn’t, even though it is the same food).
Since it just so happens to be British Egg Week and Sainsbury’s asked me to spread the word about their pledge to use cage free eggs in all their own brand products I have a very easy and incredibly tasty egg recipe to share. It’s great for breakfast but filling enough for a light lunch and altogether awesome.
Baked eggs with salmon & goat's cheese
- 2 small rolls of bread
- baguettes or sourdough rolls etc. I used Sainsbury's White Pave
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 60 g | 2oz smoked salmon chopped small
- 60 g | 2oz goat's cheese chopped or crumbled into small pieces
- 60 ml | 2oz single cream
- 1 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp finely chopped dill
- dash tabasco
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Line a heavy tray with greaseproof paper.
- Slice into the bread rolls and remove most of the bread keeping the crust intact.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and add all the ingredients. Lightly whisk with a fork until combined.
- Carefully fill the bread boats with the egg mixture about 3/4 of the way up - the eggs will puff up as they bake and you want to avoid leaks.
- Bake for 20 minutes keeping an eye on the bread so that it doesn't brown too much (cover with foil if it does).
- Take out of the oven and rub some butter on the bread crust. Return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes or until the egg is set in the middle.
- Cool for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA