These five spice slow cooker teriyaki ribs are tender, sticky and totally irresistible! Cook in your crockpot and then put under the grill for maximum deliciousness.
It’s been a very, very, busy weekend. My daughter Anya is turning 11 tomorrow, but her party was on Saturday which meant me spending several hours with 11 year old girls. If there’s anything guaranteed to make anyone feel old and out of touch it is 11 year old girls. Or tweens/teenagers in general I guess, especially if you are a oldie like myself! Anyway Anya has requested a visit to her favourite Chinese restaurant on her actual birthday and I know what will be on the menu… sticky ribs. It is a guilty pleasure for my husband and myself whenever we treat ourselves to a takeaway. But it turns out that making sticky five spice slow cooker teriyaki ribs at home is even MORE tasty not to mention considerably cheaper.
This is an extremely low effort recipe – your slow cooker will do most of the work, cooking the ribs until the meat is tender and succulent. You will need to finish them off in the oven under the grill to bring them to the ultimate deliciousness however – simply spread them on a sheet pan, drizzle with honey and pour over some of the sauce then grill until sticky and just irresistible. I used the Kikkoman Teriyaki sauce with roasted garlic in this recipe but if you use plain teriyaki sauce, make sure you add a couple of cloves minced garlic.
These Five spice slow cooker teriyaki ribs make a perfect first course or shared appetizer – but a pretty messy one. I think that is simply part of its charm – licking your fingers surreptitiously while reaching for yet another rib is part and parcel of this recipe. Or any rib recipe for that matter!
- 1.6 kg | 3 1/2 pounds pork ribs
- 3 tbsp five spice seasoning
- 1 tbsp onion or garlic granules
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- 250 ml | 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp cornflour cornstarch diluted in the juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil optional
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 1 thinly sliced red chilli to serve
- 1 thinly sliced spring onion scallions to serve
- Sprinkle the ribs with the five spice seasoning and onion granules and then season liberally with salt and pepper. Rub the spice and seasonings all over the ribs.
- Add the teriyaki sauce, ketchup, garlic, star anise, cornflour slurry, soy sauce, and sesame oil into the bowl of your slow cooker. Mix to combine.
- Add the ribs to the slow cooker, submerging them in the sauce as much as possible.
- Cook for 4 hours on high.
- Preheat the grill to high. Spread the ribs on a sheet pan and spoon over 2-3 ladlefuls of the sauce. Drizzle liberally with honey.
- Cook under the hot grill for about 3-4 minutes then use tongs to turn the ribs over and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, or until the ribs are sizzling.
- Toss to coat in the reduced sauce, or brush it on with a pastry brush, and serve sprinkled with the sliced chilli and spring onion.