This Slow Cooker Chinese Braised Beef is simply PACKED with flavor! Shin of beef slow cooked with soy sauce, five spice, garlic and ginger until meltingly tender. Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.
YOU WILL ALSO LIKE.. my Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Published 2015, updated 2021
I love cooking beef in my crockpot and have several slow cooker beef recipes to prove it! What I particularly like is that these recipes are so EASY and yet they taste amazing.
This Slow Cooker Chinese Beef uses shin of beef slowly braised with soy sauce, Chinese Shaoshing cooking wine, five spice and broth. The beef literally melts into the richly flavored gravy!
All you have to do is add the ingredients to your slow cooker and leave it to do its thing over 7-8 hours (or even longer). Once the beef is fall apart tender, simply shred and serve!
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Shin of beef or beef cheek (also called ox cheek) are both excellent cuts for this Asian beef recipe. You can also use sliced brisket or braising steak.
Chinese cooking wine, made from rice, can easily be found online or in Asian supermarkets. You can replace it with dry sherry or vermouth in a pinch!
I used Sukrin Gold in this recipe but soft brown sugar or other sweeteners can also be used.
SLOW COOKER BEEF RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Slow Cooker Chunky Beef Chili
Slow Cooker Beef Curry
Slow Cooker Roast Beef
Slow Cooker Chinese Braised Beef
- 900 g (2 pounds) beef shin cut into chunky cubes
- 240 ml (1 cup) hot beef broth or use a stock cube
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) dark soy sauce
- 120 ml (½ cup) Chinese cooking wine or use dry sherry
- 3 tbsp Sukrin Gold or dark brown sugar
- 2 onions sliced thinly
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp ginger paste or fresh grated ginger
- 5 spring onions (scallions) finely sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- ¼ tsp Szechuan peppercorns crushed (optional)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) dissolved in a little cold water
- 1 red chilli finely sliced, to serve
- spring onions (scallions)
- fresh ginger cut into thin matchsticks
- Optional: brown the beef first until nicely seared on all sides. Use a large skillet or your crockpot if it allows for searing.
- Add the beef in your slow cooker together with the garlic, onion, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Combine the beef broth, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, Sukrin and ginger in a measuring jug and stir. Pour over the beef, sprinkle with the five spice and add the spring onions and the pepper.
- Cook for 7 hours on low setting, or until the beef is very tender.
- If the sauce needs thickening, add the cornflour slurry to the slow cooker and switch to the high setting. Cook for 30 minutes or until the cooking juices are slightly thickened.
- Use two forks to shred the beef. Check the seasoning and serve over steamed rice or cauliflower rice with the sliced chilli, ginger and spring onions.