Am typing this post on my laptop on the Gatwick Express en route to the airport while listening to Food Blogger Pro podcast… it doesn’t get much more ‘professional food blogger’ than that, right? I am feeling super efficient but don’t let that fool you… in reality I am battling with a pretty crippling fear of flying and this is my distraction technique.
Am just on a quick visit to Athens to see my family and also sort out (bo-ring!) paperwork for my passport and ID card. It’s been a really long time since I travelled to Greece – our annual holiday having been cancelled at the last second this August. I am hoping we will manage to go this year but for bureaucracy preventing us (and, honestly, I am not holding my breath!).
All this rambling is merely a preamble to this gorgeous blueberry and basil Moscow mule cocktail… because, trust me, I really desperately use one of these right now, so hopped up on adrenaline and stress am I. A Moscow Mule is a very simple long cocktail, containing simply vodka, ginger beer and lime juice. It was promoted very successfully back in the day by getting the bartenders to pose with their drinks (served in a copper mug) and a bottle of Smirnoff vodka. The pose was immortalised by snapping Polaroids which were then displayed to show the drink’s popularity – a social media campaign before social media even existed! Don Draper would be proud.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £5.84Was: £8.99
- Price: £4.79Was: £5.99
- Price: £5.00Was: £9.99
- Price: £3.99Was: £4.99
- Price: £20.00
- Price: £10.99Was: £12.99
- handful fresh blueberries (about 10) plus extra to garnish
- 5 large basil leaves plus extra to garnish
- 2 measures vodka (50ml | 1.7 fl oz)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1-2 tsp sugar syrup - optional use if you prefer your drink a bit sweeter
- chilled spicy ginger beer to top up
- Put the blueberries, basil and lime juice in a tall glass and muddle with the end of a clean rolling pin or a muddling spoon.
- Add the vodka and sugar syrup if using and give it a good stir.
- Add plenty of fresh ice and top with ginger beer. Stir again.
- Serve with blueberries and basil leaves threaded onto a cocktail stick.