Can we take a moment to just stare at this triple chocolate skillet brownie? This baby is so delicious and squidgy chocolatey that is should be outlawed. And to think it only came into existence because I had so many chocolate bars out of their wrappers and broken into pieces. Not because, I hasten to add, I had been nibbling on them, but because they had been used in a photoshoot for Divine Chocolate. Anyway, here I was with all these small bits of chocolate everywhere – what’s a food blogger to do? Make brownies, naturally.
As for why you would want to make a brownie in a skillet rather than the traditional way… Because it makes an outstanding quick dessert when sharing with friends – serve straight in the pan, topped with vanilla ice cream and a little chocolate sauce and prepare to literally swoon. I added white, milk and dark chocolate to this but you could also add chopped up candy bars (have tried it with mini Reese’s). If you add milk chocolate to the top as I have, watch it doesn’t burn or colour too much while cooking – it catches really easily.
- Makes one 20cm /8inch skillet brownie
- 200 g | 7oz dark 70% chocolate finely chopped
- 70 g | 2.5oz unsalted butter cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g | 3.5oz soft light brown sugar
- 30 g | 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp cornflour cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 g | just under 2oz white chocolate chopped into small pieces (or use chips)
- 50 g | just under 2oz milk chocolate chopped into small pieces (or use chips)
- 100 g | 3.oz dark chocolate melted, to drizzle (optional)
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- chocolate shavings optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Place the chopped dark chocolate and butter in a bowl and set over a pot of barely simmering water (double boiler) to melt. Alternatively melt in the microwave on half power – heat for 30 seconds, stir and repeat the process until the chocolate is completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until frothy – you can do this by hand using a balloon whisk or with a hand/stand mixer.
- Pour the chocolate into the beaten eggs, adding it gradually and mixing with a balloon whisk until smooth.
- Sift the cocoa powder, cornflour and salt over the chocolate and then mix together until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped white and milk chocolate reserving a few pieces to add over the top of the brownie.
- Pour the batter into the centre of the skillet - it may not go all the way to the edges but it will spread in the oven. Add a few pieces of chopped chocolate on the brownie, sinking them slightly into the batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven. Oven temperatures vary so if the brownie is too wobbly in the middle continue to bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serve in the pan while the brownie is still a bit warm, topped with ice cream and drizzled with a little melted chocolate (or chocolate syrup or caramel).
You can bake these in a regular greased and lined square brownie pan (20cm/8in). Bake for 25 minutes and cool for 30 minutes before slicing into squares.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA