Make your next drink a cherry julep! A refreshing and pretty gin-based cocktail that’s perfect for summertime (or a day that ends in ‘y’).
(Dry) January is very nearly at an end – I say it is time to celebrate, dammit! It’s been a very stressful month for me, full of some intense highs and few crushing lows. To be absolutely honest, I am kinda glad to wave goodbye to it.
So let’s celebrate the end of January with this absolutely awesome cocktail. I have tweaked the recipe from The Classic Cocktail Bible – to make it significantly less strong would you believe it. The original recipe contains sloe gin (as well as gin) so if you happen to have some give it a try. I think the cocktail shines just fine without it. The one thing you should not skip is the crushed ice – it really makes a difference and luckily it is now widely available to buy.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
Cherry Julep cocktail
A refreshing and pretty gin-based cocktail that's perfect for summertime
Author: Lucy Parissi | Supergolden Bakes
Recipe type: Cocktail
- Handful of ice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp grenadine
- 2 tsp simple syrup
- 4 measures | 100ml | 3.5 fl ounces gin
- 2 measures | 50ml | 1.8 fl ounces cherry brandy
- Soda water to top up
- Lemon rind strips to decorate or mint leaves, frozen berries etc.
- Crushed ice to serve
- Put the ice in a cocktail shaker and add the lemon juice, grenadine, sugar syrup, gin and cherry brandy.
- Shake vigorously until a frost forms on the cocktail shaker.
- Strain into two highball or rocks glasses filled with crashed ice. Top up with soda water and stir.
- Decorate with lemon rind strips or frozen fruit.
You can buy simple (sugar) syrup but it also very easy to make. Put equal amounts sugar and water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until sugar dissolves - couple of minutes. Cool before using.