Chicken and Mushroom Pasta: a really simple and light Italian pasta dish that’s ready in just 20 minutes! Slimming World friendly with very minor modifications.
You will also love my Creamy Salmon Chorizo Pasta
They say you should not have regrets in life – and I agree wholeheartedly. But sometimes I can’t help but look back and wish – just wish – I had done more of certain things. Like travel – I wish I had travelled a lot more.
In a way I have travelled plenty – moving to England from Greece when I was 17 for example, that was one marvellous and life-altering journey. And I have travelled around certain parts of Europe, and even did a 6 month internship in New York in my 20s.
When I was still in art college we went on a field trip to Florence and it was definitely one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken, still fresh in my mind decades later. My husband and I have one destination of on top of of travel list – or several if you divide it by cities – ITALY.
We want to go to Venice, Rome, Florence, and Modena (to visit Osteria Francescana) and all the lesser known cities to sample to incredible food, soak up the sun and haunt the galleries, operas and museums. Once life settles down a little I am booking that ticket – just watch me!
In the meantime, if I can’t spend any time in Italy, I will at least bring Italian food to my kitchen. And what would Italy be be without pasta – probably the most universally comforting and crowd pleasing food
Pasta dishes don’t have to be complicated to be tasty, you can’t go wrong by simply by using fresh and seasonal ingredients and quality products.
Take this extremely simple pasta with garlic mushrooms created by Genarro Contaldo. The base recipe has only five ingredients, not including the pasta, and yet it is incredibly delicious and ready in under 20 minutes. I have added chicken and a little Marsala wine to up the protein in this dish.
How to make Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
Heat a little butter in a large pan and sauté the garlic then add the chicken and cook for five minutes. Use low calorie cooking spray for a Slimming World version.
Remove the chicken and add the mushrooms – wild mushrooms if you can find them as they will add intense depth of flavour to the recipe.
Add the wine and vegetable stock, return the chicken to pan and cook until the sauce is slightly reduced and the chicken is cooked through.
Finally, add 400g (14oz) tagliatelle cooked al dente and toss everything together with plenty of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley.
Slimming World Chicken Mushroom Pasta – Syn Free!
Simply cook this recipe using a low calorie cooking spray such as Fry Light instead of butter and leave out the Marsala wine to make this recipe suitable for Slimming World! Since this pasta dish has cream or a heavy sauce it is Syn Free – allow me a little happy dance.
Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 400 g mixed wild mushrooms
- 300 g | 10 1/2oz skinless chicken breasts sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1/2 red chilli finely sliced (optional)
- 120 ml | 1/2 cup hot vegetable stock
- 2-3 tbsp Marsala wine
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley roughly chopped
- 400 g | 14oz tagliatelle pasta
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the tagliatelle and cook until al dente. Drain and set aide.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Pan fry the chicken until almost cooked through. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the Marsala wine to deglaze the pan and scrape any browned bits of chicken.
- Add garlic and chilli and cook on low heat until softened.
- Increase the heat, add mushrooms and stir fry for a minute.
- Add stock and chicken and continue to cook for 3 – 4 minutes on a medium heat until the mushrooms are cooked through and the liquid has evaporated slightly. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. Serve immediately.