Prepare to fall in love with this creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup! This hearty and delicious soup, of Olive Garden fame, is super easy to make in your crock pot or the stove top. Perfect for cold winter days or whenever you crave a bowl of comforting deliciousness!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Ever fall in love with a recipe on a restaurant visit and wish you could recreate it at home? I can only dream of Olive Garden’s famous Chicken Gnocchi soup and the equally delicious Zuppa Toscana soup. Why? Because Olive Garden hasn’t quite made its way over to London yet.
Luckily you can make a copycat Chicken Gnocchi soup in the comfort of your own home, just follow my easy recipe! You can simmer the soup on the stove or make it your slow cooker and you know me, I always opt for the easier option.
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi have become more and more popular, judging by the varieties available to buy in most grocery stores.
Gnocchi are a type of dumpling usually made with potatoes, flour and eggs. They have a soft and doughy texture that pairs well with a variety of different sauces (you will want to try my Slow Cooker Tuscan Chicken Meatballs With Gnocchi recipe!)
CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP INGREDIENTS
In this recipe we will be using store-bought potato gnocchi in an Italian-inspired chicken soup. Here’s what we will need:
- Chicken tenders or skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- Onions, carrots and celery
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Flat leaf parsley and basil
- Cream , half and half or evaporated milk
- Potato gnocchi
- Salt, pepper, celery salt, red pepper flakes and mustard powder
- Cornstarch (cornflour) to thicken the soup (optional)
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Add the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, salt and seasoning into your slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth, cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on the LOW setting for 5 hours. So easy, no browning required!
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken onto a plate and slice or shred it. Add the gnocchi and cream into the soup then stir in the chicken back in. Cook on the HIGH setting for 15-20 minutes, or until the gnocchi is tender.
Stir in the chopped spinach, tomatoes and half the herbs. Add the cornstarch slurry and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the grated Parmesan, if using.Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Portion the soup into bowls, top with the remaining herbs, accompany with a piece of focaccia bread and prepare to be mesmerized!
RECIPE NOTES AND FAQs
- You can use leftover roast chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken if you like.
- The gnocchi cooks fairly quickly, even in a slow cooker. Test the gnocchi after 5 minutes and continue simmering until they are cooked to your liking.
- Chicken gnocchi soup is best eaten fresh. You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to three days, but the gnocchi will get a bit mushy. You can always add them later when reheating because they cook in just two minutes!
- You can increase the amount of cream in the recipe if preferred.
CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP ON THE STOVE TOP
Heat a little olive oil in a large pot and sauté the vegetables for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chicken, seasonings and broth and bring to a simmer. Bear in mind you will need to add extra chicken broth to the stove top version of this recipe.
Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon, dice it, then add back into the broth.
Add the gnocchi and cook for 2-5 minutes, depending on pack instructions. Stir in the cream, spinach, tomatoes and herbs at the end. Taste the seasoning and serve!
LOVE SOUP? THEN YOU WILL ALSO ENJOY…
You can never have too many soup recipes, so why not try some of these reader favorites?
Slow Cooker Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil (stove top method only)
- 6 chicken tenders or 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 3 celery sticks , finely diced
- 3 carrots , diced
- 4 cups (960ml) chicken broth or stock made using stockpot / stock cube
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp celery salt , optional
- ½ ground black pepper , plus more to serve
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 16 oz (450g) potato gnocchi , I used Rummo Gnocchi Di Patate No. 117
- ½ cup (120ml) cream or half and half / evaporated milk
- 1 cup (200g) fresh spinach, chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes , diced
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan (optional)
- small bunch flat leaf parsley , finely chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves , chopped
- Add the chicken, onion, carrots, celery, salt and seasoning into your slow cooker. Pour in the chicken broth, cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on the LOW setting for 5 hours.6 chicken tenders, 1 onion, 3 celery sticks, 3 carrots, 4 cups (960ml) chicken broth, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp mustard powder, ½ tsp celery salt, ½ ground black pepper, pinch red pepper flakes
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken onto a plate and slice or shred it.
- Add the gnocchi and cream into the soup then stir in the chicken back in. Cook on the HIGH setting for 15-20 minutes, or until the gnocchi is tender.16 oz (450g) potato gnocchi, ½ cup (120ml) cream
- Stir in the chopped spinach, tomatoes and half the herbs. Add the cornstarch slurry and cook for a couple of minutes. Stir in the grated Parmesan, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.1 cup (200g) fresh spinach, chopped, 10 cherry tomatoes, 3 tbsp grated Parmesan, small bunch flat leaf parsley, handful fresh basil leaves
- Divide the soup into bowls, add the rest of the herbs, serve with focaccia bread, and get ready to be enchanted!