This Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is super easy, packed with flavour and slimming friendly too. A truly no-fuss curry recipe that requires minimal prep and no browning – happy days!
A few hours later you can enjoy a mild, fragrant chicken curry with a rich creamy sauce that will be a hit with the whole family. Take a look at the recipe video and step by step tutorial and prepare to fall head over heels too!
You will also love my Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
I seem to have reawakened my love affair with my slow cooker. It was feeling a little neglected of late, what with that interloper the Instant Pot taking top spot in my affections.
And how can you help but LOVE your slow cooker when it can produce such a delicious chicken curry with almost ZERO effort?
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It is the EASIEST chicken curry you will ever make
- No oil or butter – healthier and suitable for Slimming World and Weight Watchers
- Gluten free and dairy free (depending on cream added)
- Mild and creamy – perfect for kids and curry-phobes, but you can make it spicier if you like it hot!
- Prep ahead – this recipe is suitable as freezer ‘dump bag’ slow cooker meal
Easiest Ever Crockpot Chicken Curry
I wanted to create a slow cooker chicken curry recipe that requires very little work without sacrificing the flavour and I think I have hit the jackpot with this one! Here’s what you will need:
- A mini chopper to blend the curry paste (this is one of the most used kitchen gadgets I own)
- 6.5L slow cooker
- 2 red onions
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- Fresh ginger
- Tomato purée (paste)
- garam masala, ground cumin, turmeric, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt
- Brown sugar or Sukrin Gold sweetener for a slimming version
- Chicken Stock
- Skinless chicken thighs. You can also use skinless chicken breasts if you like but thighs are more tender and flavourful.
- Double cream for an indulgent version or Alpro Soya Single Chilled Soya for a SW version (you won’t believe how tasty it is)
- Coriander leaves to garnish
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CURRY
Take a look at this step by step tutorial – please note you will find the full recipe, including ingredients in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Make the curry paste. Put the fresh ginger, onions, garlic, spices, salt, sugar or sweetener, tomato paste and chicken stock in a mini food chopper and process until you have a smooth paste.
Add the chicken into your slow cooker, add the paste and mix well.
Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or low for 5 hours. Stir in the cream (or Soya cream) and heat through.
SLIMMING FRIENDLY CURRY
And now for more good news! This curry may be suitable for weight loss plans like Slimming World or Weight Watchers.
Simply replace the double cream with Alpro Soya Single Chilled Soya (1 syn per tablespoon) – you won’t believe how good this tastes! For a totally FREE curry replace the cream with natural fat-free yoghurt.
One portion is 330 calories (if you are using the Soya cream or fat free yoghurt) without any sides and 7 WeightWatchers SmartPoints. Make sure to add some extra vegetables on the side when serving, don’t just pile your plate high with curry alone!
JOIN MY SLIMMING RECIPES GROUP I have created a dedicated Facebook group for slimming recipe ideas, tips and support. Would love to see you there!
CHICKEN CURRY TIPS AND FAQs
HOW DO I THICKEN MY SLOW COOKER CURRY? It is true that some slow cooker recipes are a bit watery and bland. This one is not because I have added very little liquid to it to begin with. If you need to thicken your curry further, the easiest way is to stir in some cornflour slurry and allow the sauce to bubble for a few minutes until it thickens.
DO I NEED TO BROWN THE CHICKEN FIRST? I usually advise you to sear or brown meat before making curries or stews. In this recipe there’s no need to do that – the curry paste will infuse the chicken with lots of flavour and the slow cooking will keep it tender and succulent.
COOK THIS RECIPE ON THE STOVE If you want to cook the recipe on the stove then I would recommend browning the chicken first in a casserole using a little oil or cooking spray. Stir the paste and 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. Stir in the cream and serve.
PREPPING AHEAD You can make the paste and marinate the chicken overnight then start the curry recipe the following day.
MAKE A ‘DUMP BAG’ You can also make a “dump bag” for the freezer. Mix the chicken with the paste and transfer to a sturdy ziplog bag, expelling all air before sealing. Label the bag with the date and any instructions such as cooking time etc. Defrost overnight in the fridge before cooking in crockpot. Use all the dump bags within 3 months.
I DON’T HAVE A FOOD PROCESSOR WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD? You can mince the garlic and onion using a grated or chop very finely with a knife before mixing with remaining ingredients.
WHAT ABOUT LEFTOVERS? Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to three days. If you wish to freeze then portion into suitable containers, label and transfer to the freezer as soon as the curry has cooled down. Use within three months.
I LIKE MY CURRY SPICY! If you prefer a spicier curry then blend one or two jalapeño peppers and their seeds in your curry paste. Alternatively up the cayenne pepper or swap for hot madras curry powder. Garnish with dried chilli flakes when serving.
A glass of ice-cold beer is probably the best pairing with this curry though I prefer a glass of Sauvignon Blanc myself.
HAVE YOU MADE MY SLOW COOKER CHICKEN CURRY RECIPE? Please leave a rating, post a photo on my Facebookpage, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 2 red onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- Thump sized piece fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp Tomato purée (paste)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or Sukrin Gold sweetener for a slimming version
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Chicken Stock
- 900 g (2 pounds) skinless chicken thighs fat removed
- 5 tbsp double cream or Alpro Soya Single Chilled Soya / fat free natural yoghurt for a SW version
- Handful coriander leaves to garnish
- Salt and pepper to season
- Chilli flakes or onion seeds to garnish
- Make the curry paste. Put the fresh ginger, onions, garlic, spices, salt, sugar or sweetener, tomato paste and chicken stock in a mini food chopper and process until you have a smooth paste.
- Put the chicken into your slow cooker, add the paste and mix well.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 hours or low for 5 without opening the lid.
- Stir in the cream (or Soya cream) and heat through.
- Check the seasoning, garnish with fresh coriander and serve over rice. I told you it was easy!
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.