Slow Cooker Beef Tagine – this deliciously aromatic Moroccan beef stew with fragrant spices and apricots is tailor-made for your crock pot. Simply add the ingredients to your slow cooker, stir and slow cook until the beef is tender. Another winning beef stew recipe the whole family will love.
Check out my Moroccan Lamb Tagine With Apricots
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
MOROCCAN BEEF STEW
You guys KNOW how I much I love tagine recipes! This traditionally Morrocan stew can be made with lamb, chicken, vegetables or, in this case, beef.
A tagine usually uses a combination of fragrant warming spices and dried fruit to create an incredibly aromatic stew that tastes delicious and is perfect for sharing.
You don’t need a traditional earthenware tagine pot to make this beef tagine recipe though… your slow cooker is a fabulous way to cook it!
Beef Tagine Ingredients
You can make this recipe on the hob and oven but it much more energy efficient to make it in a crock pot. The slow cooking and low moist heat make the best of cheaper cuts of beef, turning them melt-in-the-mouth tender. Here’s what you will need.
- Beef: I used shin of beef. Any beef that is suitable for stews and slow cooking can be used such as chuck steak, braising steak etc.
- Spices: ground cumin, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, bay leaves
- Dried fruit: apricots and dates or prunes can all be used
- Onions, garlic, ginger – if you are in a hurry then you can use ginger and garlic paste or frozen chopped onions, minced garlic and ginger
- Chopped tomatoes and concentrated tomato paste (tomato purée)
- Carrots and chickpeas – you can also add potatoes and butternut squash if you want to make the stew go further
- Beef stock cube / beef bouillon or beef stockpot
HOW TO MAKE BEEF TAGINE IN A SLOW COOKER
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
This is so easy I barely need to spell it out for you. Prep all your ingredients and add them to your slow cooker. Stir well and cook on LOW setting for 8 hours or on HIGH setting for about 6 or until the beef is super tender.
Discard the bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Taste your tagine and adjust the seasoning as needed. Serve garnished with fresh coriander, flaked almonds and couscous.
Recipe tips and FAQs
STORING AND FREEZING: Moroccan beef stew is one of the wonderful dishes that tastes even better the day after you make it! Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to three days. Alternatively cool completely and portion into freezer-safe containers and eat within three months.
SHOULD I BROWN THE BEEF? I would normally advise you to brown the beef in a skillet before adding to the slow cooker. I usually skip this step when making beef tagine as it is incredibly tasty without going through the fuss of searing the beef cubes first. Check out this equally easy Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne!
IS THIS RECIPE SLIMMING FRIENDLY? Since the recipe uses no oil it is actually pretty healthy and suitable for those following popular plans like Slimming World and WeightWatchers.
Trim the beef of any fat before using and replace the sugar with Sukrin Gold. The dried fruit are quite calorific but they add so much to the overall flavor I would not advise leaving them out!
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Delicious over couscous, rice or mashed potatoes with a glass or red wine.
Slow Cooker Beef Tagine
For the Beef Tagine
- 900 g (2 pounds) diced beef I used shin of beef
- 2 red onions , finely diced
- 3 carrots , peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger , grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 dried apricots , finely diced
- 5 dates roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or Sukrin Gold sweetener (optional)
- ½ lemon , juice only
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 400 g (14 oz) canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g (14 oz) canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cinnamon stick or small piece cassia bark
- 1 beef stock cube crumbled (or use beef bouillon / stockpot)
- 1 bay leaf
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) water
- 3 tbsp flaked almonds to garnish
- fresh coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- grated lemon zest
Slow cooker method
- Add all the ingredients for the stew into your slow cooker. Mix well, cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for about 6 hours. Check the beef is tender
- Check the beef is tender – if not, continue to cook for another hour. Discard the bay leaf and cinnamon stick. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.