Parmesan waffle, ham, cheese and egg breakfast sandwich
- 300 ml | 10.1fl oz semi-skimmed milk
- 200 g | 7oz self raising flour
- 3 tbsp Clover or unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp sugar
- To serve
- a little Clover to spread on the waffles
- fried eggs cheese, ham*
- Dijon mustard and light mayonnaise
- Place the flour, baking powder, Parmesan, chopped parsley and sugar in a large bowl and mix together with a fork.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a measuring jug.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and whisk together briefly until combined. Let the batter stand for 20 minutes (or make in advance and keep in the fridge).
- Melt the Clover in the microwave on a low heat setting for about 40 seconds.
- Add the melted Clover to the batter and stir it in until incorporated.
- Preheat the waffle maker until the ready light indicator turns on. Pour enough batter to cover just under 2/3 of the waffle maker surface and close the lid.
- Cook until the machine beeps or until the waffles are golden and crisp. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Spread a little butter or Clover over the waffles while they are still warm. Cut into quarters.
- Spread a little Dijon mustard and light mayonnaise on the waffles and add thinly sliced cheese (Comté, gruyere or strong Cheddar are all great options), wafer thin honey roast ham and top with a fried egg. Sandwich together and enjoy immediately.