This Slimming Friendly Chocolate Cake is low in calories and fat yet scores high on chocolate satisfaction! Easy to make, gluten free and suitable for popular weight loss plans like Weight Watchers and Slimming World.
You will also love my Slimming Brownies
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Is there such a thing as a healthy chocolate cake? Or a slimming friendly one? I used to think it is a mythical thing, the unicorn of the baking world.
And it is certainly the holy grail if you are on a diet… after all who doesn’t dream of indulging in a slice of moist chocolate cake guilt-free?
Well I am here to tell you that your dreams (and my own) may well have come true!
Take a look at the recipe video and step by step tutorial below. Want to see a more in-depth video? Pop over to my YouTube channel! 🙂
Here’s why it’s a must bake!
- Takes just minutes to prepare
- Out of the oven in 35 minutes
- Moist, chocolatey and delicious
- High in fibre
- Low in fat
- Low in calories – only 140 per slice!
- 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- Slimming World 3-5 Syns (depending on optional toppings)
JOIN MY SLIMMING RECIPES GROUP I have created a dedicated Facebook group for slimming recipe ideas, tips and support. Would love to see you there!
Here’s what you will need
You could make this flourless chocolate cake with 100% sweetener if you like, this would lower the calories further.
For best taste use both brown sugar and sweetener as I have done here, or 100% brown sugar. This recipe is inspired by a Weight Watchers cake recipe which I have tweaked to make my own.
- Cake release or Fry light for the cake tin
- Black Beans – the secret ingredient in this cake (as in my slimming brownies), they replace the flour and keep the cake lovely and moist. And no, the cake doesn’t taste like black beans!
- Ground almonds – these are allowed as an extra in SW
- Brown sugar – light brown sugar
- Sukrin Gold sweetener – this is my favourite granulated sweetener that I use in all slimming recipes. It doesn’t have any of the strange aftertaste commonly associated with sweeteners and is suitable for diabetics
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Baking powder (check it is Gluten Free) & bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda)
- Eggs – free range large eggs
- Lighter vegetable spread – I used Flora Light Proactiv, melted
- Ground cinnamon or vanilla extract
- Optional toppings: melted chocolate or a lighter chocolate syrup such as Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- Fresh fruit such as raspberries or strawberries
HOW TO MAKE SLIMMING CHOCOLATE CAKE
Take a look at this step by step tutorial – please note you will find the full recipe, including ingredients in the recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP ONE Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. Spray a 18cm/7inch springform cake tin with cake release or low calorie cooking spray. Line the bottom with baking paper.
STEP TWO Add all the ingredients into a food processor or a smoothie maker such as Nutribullet.
STEP THREE Blitz until smooth, scraping the sides of the food processor as needed. It really is that easy!
STEP FOUR Pour into your prepared tin – the cake batter will be quite runny, this is normal.
STEP FIVE Bake for 35-40 minutes until well risen, springy to the touch and just starting to come away from the edges of the tin.
STEP SIX Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then carefully turn out onto a plate. Allow the cake to cool completely before adding any toppings.
STEP SEVEN Drizzle the cake with a little melted chocolate or use a low calorie syrup like Sweet Freedom Choc Shot. This is optional but adds a lovely touch of sweetness.
STEP EIGHT Decorate with fresh fruit like strawberries or raspberries or serve warm with a little light custard.
Please note I am not affiliated in any way with Slimming World or Weight Watchers. These weight loss plans are often updated in line with latest nutritional guidance and may change so for accurate information it is best to join as a member.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.
Slimming Friendly Chocolate Cake
- Cake release or Fry light for the cake tin
- 400 g (14oz) tin black Beans drained and rinsed
- 5 large eggs
- 50 g (½ cup) cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 4 tbsp ground almonds HExB
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp Sukrin Gold or other granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder (check it is Gluten Free)
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 50 g (3 tbsp) lighter vegetable spread, melted I used Flora Light Proactiv
To decorate (optional)
- 50 g (¼ cup) dark chocolate chips, melted or Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- Fresh fruit such as raspberries or strawberries optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. Spray a 18cm/7inch springform cake tin with cake release or low calorie cooking spray. Line the bottom with baking paper.
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor or a smoothie maker such as Nutribullet. Blitz until you have a smooth, quite runny, batter.
- Transfer the batter into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until well risen, springy to the touch and just starting to come away from the edges of the tin.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then carefully turn out onto a plate. Allow the cake to cool completely before adding any toppings.
- Drizzle the cake with a little melted chocolate or use a low calorie syrup like Sweet Freedom Choc Shot.
- Serve with fresh fruit like strawberries or raspberries or serve warm with a little light custard.