These healthy banana oat waffles are gluten and refined sugar free and can be made dairy-free by replacing the buttermilk with soy milk.
My love affair with waffles is well documented on this blog. We have sweet ones, savoury ones… even mashed potato waffles. But so far there haven’t been any healthy waffle recipes – until now!
These Banana Oat Waffles may look decadent but they are super healthy, even suitable for diet plans like Slimming World and Weight Watchers.
These waffles are made with rolled oats blitzed to a fine powder to make oat flour. I added cacao powder, a banana and fat-free buttermilk…
So these slimming waffles are flour-free, sugar-free and gluten-free – provided you buy gluten-free oats. Add some sliced strawberries, a handful of nuts and a little maple syrup and you have a wonderful breakfast.
And if you have leftovers you can keep them in the fridge (or freezer) and toast them the next day. I can see a full-blown love affair with waffles starting to blossom although I can’t promise all of them will be this virtuous!
Healthy Banana Oat Waffles
- Dry ingredients
- 170 g | 6oz gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wet ingredients
- 140 ml | 4.7fl oz low-fat buttermilk
- 1 ripe medium banana chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- strawberries almonds, maple syrup, dusting of icing sugar, to serve
- Put all the dry ingredients in the Vitamix container and blitz in short bursts until you have a fine powder. Tip this into a large bowl.
- Put all the wet ingredients in your blender container and blitz until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ones and use a hand whisk to stir everything together until just combined. You will end up with a fairly thick batter. Set aside while the waffle maker heats up.
- Preheat the waffle maker until the ready light indicator comes on and spray with a little cooking spray.
- Pour enough batter to coat the centre of the waffle maker (about 1/2 cup) and then close. The batter should sizzle and will spread out as you close the machine. Cook for 4-6 minutes or until crisp. Repeat until you have used all of the batter.
- Serve the waffles warm with a little maple syrup, sliced strawberries, a handful of chopped almonds or the toppings of your choice.