These delicious fluffy American Pancakes are easy to whip up for breakfast or brunch and a true family favourite. Serve with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup – YUM!
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
My children had some friends over yesterday so I felt compelled to treat them – I have a reputation to uphold after all. So I made a batch of my chocolate crepes with Nutella. As they happily scoffed them, and promptly had seconds, I sat watching, slightly green with envy.
Even though I haven’t felt deprived during my diet, I must say I really was feeling left out.
So, naturally, I set out to make some healthy, diet-approved, Slimming World Pancakes to satisfy my craving. I used fat free Quark cheese and skimmed milk, self raising flour, a little sweetener and eggs.
And guess what? These fluffy pancakes are delicious, easy to make and only ONE Syn each.
Which means you can happily have a portion for breakfast or on Pancake Day without feeling like you are spoiling your diet. Which is just as well as it’s weigh in day 😉
How to make American Pancakes
STEP 1. Put eggs, milk, quark, sweetener and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
STEP 2. Use a balloon whisk to combine, mixing well to break up the cheese. If you want to add some flavourings add some vanilla or coconut extract or a little lemon zest.
STEP 3. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda over the bowl.
STEP 4. Use the balloon whisk to mix together until the batter is smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
STEP 5. Spray a large frying pan or griddle with cooking spray or wipe with oil. Heat the pan and then ladle in the batter (or use a large spoon – you want about 2 tbsp of batter per pancake) leaving enough space between the pancakes so you can flip them.
STEP 6. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes and flip carefully once bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes.
STEP 7. Cook for a minute longer on the other side until golden. Continue until you use all the batter.
STEP 8. Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
(Slimming) Pancake Toppings
These Pancakes are delicious with fresh fruit, especially berries, citrus fruit or sliced bananas.
My favourite toppings are raspberries and blueberries, with a spoonful of Greek yogurt on the side.
As someone married to a Canadian I ALWAYS have to have real maple syrup with my pancakes and thankfully it is only 2 syns per tablespoon.
My husband always serves his pancakes with maple syrup and bacon – the sweet and savoury combo works amazingly well!
JOIN MY SLIMMING RECIPES GROUP I have created a dedicated Facebook group for slimming recipe ideas, tips and support. Would love to see you there!
Pancake Recipe variations
Make savoury pancakes: omit the sweetener and add 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese into the batter (healthy extra). Serve with a poached egg, lean bacon and fried mushrooms and sprinkle with chopped chives.
Tips for pancake perfection
- Make sure your self raising (or self rising) flour is fresh, especially if you don’t regularly bake with it.
- Your pan or griddle needs to be fairly hot but keep an eye on the heat and adjust as you use up the batter. You will need to add more cooking spray as you cook your pancakes.
- Wait until your pancakes form little bubbles on the surface and appear a bit dry before flipping over.
- Don’t crowd your pancakes, it will be impossible to flip them cleanly.
Looking for more Slimming Recipes?
Take a look at my Slimming recipe archive for plenty more ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert!
Fluffy American Pancakes
- 150 g | 5.3oz self raising flour
- 150 ml | 5fl oz skimmed milk
- 120 g | 4.2oz Quark cheese or you can use ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp Splenda or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract or vanilla extract or 1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
- maple syrup and fresh berries to serve
- light cooking spray or vegetable oil to fry
- Put eggs, milk, quark and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Use a balloon whisk to combine, mixing well to break up the cheese. If you want to add some flavourings add some vanilla extract or lemon zest.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and sweetener over the bowl. Use a balloon whisk to combine well and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large frying pan or griddle with cooking spray or wipe with oil. Heat the pan and then ladle in the batter (or use a large spoon – you want about 2 tbsp of batter per pancake) leaving enough space between the pancakes so you can flip them.
- Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes and flip carefully once bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes. Cook for a minute longer on the other side until golden. Continue until you use all the batter.
- Serve warm with toppings of your choice.