Fluffy Coconut and Quark American Pancakes – these are perfect for breakfast or brunch. Serve with maple syrup and fresh berries.
You will also love… my Chocolate Crêpes with Nutella
My children had some friends over yesterday so I felt compelled to treat them – I have a reputation to uphold after all. So I made a batch of my chocolate crepes with Nutella. As they happily scoffed them, and promptly had seconds, I sat watching, slightly green with envy. Even though I haven’t felt very deprived during my (ongoing) diet, I must say I really was feeling left out.
So, naturally, I set out to make some healthy, diet-approved, pancakes to satisfy my craving. Well, these aren’t them. No, the healthy pancakes I made yesterday were full of oats, chia seeds, oat bran, protein powder, dates and raw cacao.
And although fairly appetising – I had them for breakfast today– they did not tick the boxes for fluffy yumminess. So it was back to the drawing board and here we have the winning recipe – lightened up American style pancakes that are fluffy and oh-so-yummy.
I used no-fat Quark cheese and light coconut milk, but I had to keep the flour – any other versions ended up being heavy and a little chewy instead of light. I plan to treat myself to one for breakfast tomorrow since it is Pancake day.
My children took one look at the plate and immediately decided what was for dessert tonight. Yup, I am very happy to report that these are keepers. Liberally drizzle with maple syrup and serve with fresh berries – or a full fry up breakfast if you are my husband.
Keen on pancakes? Here’s some more recipes to try out.
Fluffy Coconut and Quark American Pancakes
- 150 g | 5.3oz plain all purpose flour
- 150 ml | 5fl oz light coconut milk I used KoKo
- 120 g | 4.2oz Quark cheese or you can use ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 60 g | 2oz desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tsp Splenda or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- couple drops coconut extract or use vanilla extract
- maple syrup and fresh berries to serve
- light cooking spray or vegetable oil to fry
- Whisk the eggs, coconut milk, coconut extract and quark cheese until smooth (or blitz in a blender).
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, Splenda and salt and mix everything until Fold in the desiccated coconut and make sure there are no dry pockets in the batter. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest.
- Spray a large frying pan with cooking spray or wipe with oil. Heat the pan and then ladle in the batter (or use a large spoon - you want about 2 tbsp of batter per pancake) leaving enough space between the pancakes so you can flip them.
- Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes and flip carefully once bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes. Cook for a minute longer on the other side until golden. Continue until you use all the batter.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and fresh berries or toppings of your choice.
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA