This simple Vegan Coconut Oatmeal (porridge) with blueberry compote is as delicious as it is healthy. An excellent way to start your day!
You will also love… My Healthy Baked Oats
I hesitate to call this a recipe – it has so very few ingredients and is ready in under 10 minutes. I somehow feel like a blog post is not a blog post unless I put some real hard work into it…
But since it is so very delicious I feel like I should share it. Basically this is, technically, porridge (i.e. oatmeal) so you can eat it for breakfast and feel virtuous.
It tastes very much like dessert however – or pudding as my kids would say – I would happily eat it any time of day.
The blueberry compote (leftover from the blintzes) is also incredibly easy. I used frozen blueberries as they are, somehow, almost half the price of fresh ones. You can use fresh if you prefer or substitute with other berries.
This is a great Slimming World breakfast BTW, using healthy extras for the milk, oats and blueberries. Keep it FREE by serving with fresh fruit instead of the compote.
MAKE THE BLUEBERRY COMPOTE Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the blueberries start to burst. Simmer for a couple more minutes and set aside.
MAKE THE OATMEAL To make the porridge, put all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes until the porridge is creamy and thick.
Coconut Oatmeal with Blueberry Compote
- 40 g (scant 1/2 cup) rolled oats
- 300 ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened coconut milk Healthy Extra
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 servings
- 400 g (14oz) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- 1 tbsp water
- To make the blueberry compote, put all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the blueberries start to burst. Simmer for a couple more minutes and set aside. Please note you will have extra servings – store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To make the porridge, put all the ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes until the porridge is creamy and thick.
- Serve warm with a generous amount of blueberry compote drizzled over the top.