I am having a bit of a crazy time work-wise. It always happens around this time each year – the London Book Fair is a mere month away and in the publishing business this basically means that everyone goes a little bit crazy preparing for it.
This leaves very little time for blogging or even just plain cooking. Which is where these baked eggs come in. This is THE recipe for when you are in a hurry, starving and facing a pretty bare fridge. Easy, delicious, cheap and filling. Thumbs up all the way.
Feel free to vary the ingredients according to taste and what you have available. This recipe can easily be adapted for the Slimming World plan.
Cheesy Baked Eggs
Cheesy Baked Eggs make a wonderful breakfast or light lunch.Print Rate
- Handful fresh spinach , roughly chopped
- 1 slice pancetta or bacon (optional)
- Handful cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g | 1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere (or substitute with cheese of choice)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Splash Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tbsp double cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Butter to grease
- Preheat the oven to 190C | 375F. Grease a small ovenproof dish (or double recipe and use a larger dish) with butter.
- Scatter the chopped spinach and pancetta on the bottom of the dish.
- Make two wells in the spinach and place the eggs in them carefully to preserve the yolks.
- Arrange the tomatoes around the eggs.
- Mix the grated cheese with the double cream, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and spoon over the top of the dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes - longer if you prefer the yolks to set.
- Serve with toasted, buttered bread - yum!
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 398mg | Sodium: 698mg | Potassium: 311mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 949IU | Calcium: 628mg | Iron: 2mg