This Amarula Chocolate Poke Cake is drop dead GORGEOUS! Easy to make, filled with extra chocolate yumminess in every bite and topped with the most addictive whipped cream frosting!
You will also love… my Amarula Tiramisu Cake
THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
In collaboration with Amarula
Chances are we are all finding ourselves with time on our hands… and in need of indoor activities! I can think of nothing better to bring everyone together than baking.
Not only is the act itself a form of self care, you also have the delicious results to indulge in afterwards! This easy moist chocolate cake is guaranteed to be adored by everyone and luckily it is also big enough to share.
Perfect for serving as your big celebration cake this Easter – you can even customise it with some festive sprinkles or mini eggs. One word of warning… be prepared for everyone to ask for seconds and thirds…
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is, as the name would imply, a cake with holes poked all over it. The cake is then smothered with a rich chocolate sauce made simply with sweetened condensed milk and chocolate.
This decadent chocolate pudding sinks into the cake, making it incredibly moist and just out-of-this-world delicious.
You can add a whipped cream topping to take things to the NEXT LEVEL of deliciousness, but the cake also tastes amazing without a frosting.
Want to make this cake even MORE delicious?
The secret ingredient is Amarula Cream Liquor. This rich smooth liqueur made with cream and African marula fruit will take your desserts from delicious to WOW!
You can, of course, also sip Amarula over ice or add it to drinks, cocktails or even savoury recipes. It can also replace the dessert portion of your dinner party if you are feeling a bit too full 😉
Chocolate Poke Cake from scratch
I have used my favourite eggless chocolate sponge recipe, baked in a rectangular tin. It is a very easy recipe that can be made all in one bowl.
You will need plain flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and salt plus milk, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla extract.
Useful Cake Equipment
Chocolate Cake Step by Step
Take a look at this step by step tutorial – please note you will find the full recipe, including ingredients in the recipe card at the end of this post.
The chocolate cake can be made up to a day in advance if preferred and kept, covered, at room temperature. Do not store the unfrosted cake in the fridge as it will dry out!
STEP 1. Put the vegetable oil, vinegar and milk in a large bowl and mix together.
STEP 2. Sift the sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder over the bowl.
STEP 3. Use a balloon whisk to combine the wet and dry ingredients until you have a smooth glossy batter.
STEP 4. Transfer the batter into a rectangular cake tin ( 9×13 cake pan) and spread to the edges using a spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. A toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
Chocolate In Every Bite
This moist chocolate cake is possibly the most amazing dessert this side of chocolate lava cakes. You won’t believe how delicious it tastes, and all thanks to the chocolate filling which is a doddle to make.
Add sweetened condensed milk and chocolate buttons (or finely chopped chocolate) in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir together to combine, adding a few tablespoons of Amarula in for good measure!
Poke holes all over the surface of the cake with a wooden spoon.
Pour the chocolate pudding over the cake. Use a spatula to encourage it to sink into the holes and cover the entire cake. Chill the cake in the fridge for at least an hour.
Whipped Cream Frosting
Put the heavy cream, icing sugar, cocoa powder and Amarula in a bowl and whisk until you have firm peaks. Don’t whisk for too long, you risk the cream curdling if you do.
Spread the frosting over the cooled cake in an even layer. Add sprinkles or chocolate shavings over the cake and lift out of the tin using the overhanging paper.
Serve immediately or keep chilled until ready to serve.
Poke Cake Tips and FAQs
CAN I USE BOXED CAKE MIX? Yes you can use Devils Food Cake Chocolate Mix if you prefer. Bake according to pack instructions then proceed with the recipe method.
CAN I MAKE VANILLA POKE CAKE? Yes you can – in fact you can make any flavor you like. Use your favourite sponge cake recipe baked in a rectangular tin and use white chocolate to make the topping with.
STORING CHOCOLATE POKE CAKE This cake lasts for up to 4 days in the fridge – it is not suitable for storing at room temperature as the frosting contains fresh cream.
Chocolate Poke Cake
- 120 ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
- 320 ml ( 1 ⅓ cups) milk
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 230 g (2 cups) plain flour (all purpose flour)
- 230 g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) sugar
- 100 g (1 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 175 g (1 cup) dark chocolate chips
- 400 g (14 oz) tin condensed milk
- 60 ml (1¼ cup) Amarula Liquor
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 500 ml (2 cups) cold double cream (heavy cream)
- 200 g (2 cups) icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 50 g (½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Spray a rectangular cake tin (9×13 inches) with cake release and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Put the vegetable oil, vinegar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix together.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt over bowl.
- Use a balloon whisk to mix together until you have a glossy thick batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared tin and level.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake is risen, springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely.
- Use the back of a woonden spoon to poke evenly spaced holes all over the cake.
Make the Chocolate Pudding
- Put the condensed milk, chocolate chips and Amarula in a small bowl. Microwave for 30-40 seconds and stir until the chocoalte melts and mixture is smooth.
- Pour the chocolate pudding over the cake. Use a spatula to encourage it to sink into the holes and cover the entire cake. Chill the cake in the fridge for at least an hour.
Make the whipped cream frosting
- Put the double cream, icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla in a bowl. Use a hand mixer to whisk, on low speed initially and then increase speed gradually until you have firm peaks (careful not to over-whisk!).
- Spread the whipped cream frosting all over the chocolate cake in an even layer and add plenty of chocolate sprinkles.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA