As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
You see that fabulous rainbow cake below? Full disclaimer – it’s not one of mine! This, and many other fantastic creations, can be found in a new book which publishes today: Kids’ Birthday Cakes Step by Step.
You will find many types of cakes on my blog but you may have noticed that none feature any kind of sugarcraft or intricate fondant creations.
I will raise both hands and declare that I have absolutely no experience with ‘character’ cakes, but greatly admire those who can produce ‘wow’ creations to wheel out at birthday parties.
Kids’ Birthday Parties Step by Step does exactly what it says on the tin: included are 20 cake projects ranging from Monsters to Fairies, Dinosaurs to Ballerinas.
Each project includes detailed step-by-step instructions on how to create the piping effects or fondant decorations, as well as ideas for themed cupcakes and cake pops bringing the overall recipe tally to over 50.
The projects range from the simple to the fairly intricate (especially to a novice like myself) and will appeal to mums and dads who wish to delight their children but also to those who create cakes professionally.
There’s a reference section with cake recipes and basic techniques at the back. Now excuse me, my son has earmarked the Happy Robot cake or the Dinosaur Egg so I’d better get practicing for his birthday in November…
My Top 10 Birthday Cake Recipes
If you prefer something a little easier I have several recipes that are simply perfect for birthdays and celebrations!
- My Chocolate Sheet Cake (a.k.a Chocolate Traybake) is incredibly easy to make and decorate – not to mention perfect for sharing!
- A School Dinner Cake (Vanilla Sprinkle cake) is incredibly popular with just about everyone!
- This Salted Caramel Layer Cake is my daughter Anya’s fave (pictured below). The incredibly easy Cheat’s Swiss Buttercream is divine!
- Looking for a Vegan Birthday cake? My Tropical Celebration Cake is simply spectacular.
- We love Lotus Biscoff and you will find several recipes on Supergolden Bakes including a Biscoff Drip Cake and a Biscoff Traybake (both delicious!)
- This pretty in pink Ombre Cake is a kid birthday party fave – and you can customise the colours to suit!
- Chocolate lovers will adore this One Bowl Chocolate Cake with the most delectable Chocolate Mascarpone frosting! (pictured above)
- A sophisticated Tiramisu Layer Cake is perhaps best suited to grown up parties!
- More experienced bakers might want to give this Mirror Glaze Cake a go! Perfect for Frozen or Space themed birthday parties. You can also switch the mirror glaze colours to suit other themes!