This Hearty Vegan Soup with Lentils, Sweet Potatoes and Kale is thick enough to be served as a stew! Healthy, purse friendly and super filling, it will keep your belly happy all winter long!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
If you, like myself, have resolved to eat more healthily in the new year then you HAVE to add this recipe to your repertoire.
It is packed with healthy stuff – and ONLY healthy stuff – it is delicious, filling, vegan and reheats like a dream. Seriously, it is a healthy resolution on its own!
I say it is a soup, albeit a very thick one, but I will leave you to make up your own minds on that score 😉
This recipe was originally shared on Instagram and it only went and won the Kallo Soup competition. I have updated the recipe somewhat – only because I always tinker with recipes, even my own, every time I make them.
Essentially though it is pretty unchanged – I only swapped some ingredients to suit what I had available. I used puy lentils as they cook relatively quickly without need for soaking and also keep their shape. You can also use canned lentils as a shortcut!
MORE HEALTHY SOUPS TO TRY
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Soup – this is, hands down, one of THE most popular recipes on the entire site!
- Spinach and Zucchini Soup – another winning vegan soup!
- Greek Lentil Soup – this hearty and purse friendly soup is a meal in itself. Serve with crusty bread!
- Red Lentil Soup – a lighter vegan soup inspired by Indian Dal.
Lentil, Sweet potato and Kale Soup
- 580 ml | 2 1/3 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 x400g 14oz can light coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 banana shallots finely chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 250 g | 9oz puy lentils rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and finely diced
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced
- 4 large kale leaves ribs removed, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- pinch dried chilli flakes to serve
- olive oil and extra vinegar to drizzle optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon. Sauté over low heat for 7 minutes until softened.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrot and tomato purée. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the lentils, stock and coconut milk and bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Break up the sweet potatoes using the back of a wooden spoon or liquify two ladlefuls of the soup in a blender and then add back into the soup, stirring it in.
- Add the chopped kale, cover the pot and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup is too thick you can add a little hot water to thin it out.
- Stir in the vinegar and check the seasoning.
- Serve with a pinch of dried chilli flakes and add a drizzle of olive oil and vinegar.
• You might need to add extra liquid when reheating the soup as it will become very thick if stored.
• You can also use butternut squash instead of the sweet potato.
• You can use cavolo nero instead of Kale – it might need a little less cooking.