This Vegan Chickpea Salad is easy, healthy and filling! Packed with chickpeas, avocados, olives and lots of fresh vegetables it makes a wonderful lunch or side dish.
Make sure to save the aquafaba from the chickpeas to use in my Vegan Macarons!
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Whenever I visit Greece I marvel at just how insanely delicious the salads are. A lot of credit has to go to the fresh vegetables, especially the sun-soaked tomatoes, and rich olive oil.
I was totally addicted to Dakos Salad last summer, which is a variation of the classic Greek salad from Crete.
This easy chickpea salad combines all the lovely Mediterannean flavours but is so hearty and filling you can have it for lunch.
Making this salad is easy and you can customise it to include more seasonal vegetables or swap the ones I used for your favourites.
This salad is suitable for Slimming World plan without the avocado and olives which are high in Syns. Replace the olive oil with a virgin olive oil spray to limit the amount.
What’s In my Vegan Chickpea Salad
This salad is a fabulously healthy make-ahead lunch! The vinegar in the dressing will prevent the avocado from browning and the flavours will intensify. You can also add some crispbread, croutons, or Cretan rusks if you can find them!
- Chickpeas – add lots of protein and fibre
- Avocado – hello, healthy yumminess!
- Tomatoes – the best you can find, homegrown if possible
- Olives and capers
- Red Onion
- Basil and dill (or fresh herbs of your choosing)
- Olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, oregano, chilli flakes and sumac for the dressing
How to Make Vegan Chickpea Salad
Full measurements and instructions can be found on the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page. Please take a look at the steps and video before attempting this recipe!
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar or directly in your salad bowl.
Drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas and put in a large bowl. Chop the vegetables, slice the avocado and olives and to the bowl together with the capers and herbs.
Add the dressing and give the salad a good toss. Have a taste, adding salt and pepper as needed. You can serve the salad straight away or keep it in the refrigerator for up to two days.
What else can I add?
I find the salad yummy as is but my husband can’t resist adding a sprinkling of feta cheese. You can find good vegan cheese alternatives these days so that’s another option.
This salad is great for picnics or as a side dish when having a barbecue. You can also pair it with tuna, grilled fish and chicken and any number of Mediterannean dishes.
Popular Chickpea Recipes
Chickpea And Spinach Curry
Sweet potato, chickpea and red lentil soup
Healthy Baked Falafel | Slimming World Friendly
NOTE: You will need to start this recipe at least 8 hours to a day in advance to allow for the chickpeas to soak.
HAVE YOU MADE MY CHICKPEA SALAD RECIPE? Please leave a rating or comment and let me know how you got on! Post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Vegan Chickpea Salad
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs
- 2 tsp sumac or pinch allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- 400 g (14oz) chickpeas, from 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- 200 g (7oz) tomatoes, diced (I used a mix of heritage tomatoes)
- 1 small red onion , finely diced
- 1 cucumber , seeds removed, diced
- 1 avocado , cubed
- 4 tbsp sliced Kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp mini capers
- 3 tbsp fresh dill , roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil , roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar or directly in your salad bowl.
- Drain and rinse two cans of chickpeas and put in a large bowl. Chop the vegetables, slice the avocado and olives and to the bowl together with the capers and herbs.
- Give the ingredients a good toss and have a taste, adding salt as needed. You can serve the salad straight away or keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.