This delicious Slow Cooker Beef Stew with sweet potatoes is perfect whatever the season! The whole family will love the meltingly tender beef in a gently spiced gravy.
I can see you shaking your heads… beef stew in July? Well if you were ‘enjoying’ the kinds of weather we have been blessed with, you too would be thrilled for a bowl of this delicious crock pot beef stew.
My slow cooker has been brought out of temporary retirement since the rain decided to spoil our summer and I have been rediscovering my love for it. There’s nothing like having food ready when you come home – especially now that the kids are on their school holidays.
This stew is also suitable for cooking on your stove/oven of course – I just prefer the ease of the slow cooker! I have added a little prep time browning the beef and briefly cooking the vegetables – I always think it adds to the flavour.
You could skip it however and just dump everything in the slow cooker – the stew will still taste delicious. If you decide not to bother browning the beef, then add a little cornflour (cornstarch) instead to thicken the sauce.
And now I really have to stop typing because staring at these photos is making my mouth water… I can see this beef stew rivalling my Vietnamese beef stew in our affections – it is that tasty!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1 lb (950g) diced braising steak
- 3 tbsp flour leave out for slimming version
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup (120ml) beef stock from a stock cube
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thinly
- 1 green chilli finely diced
- 15 oz (400g) canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle paste more if you like it spicy!
- 7 oz (200g) canned corn drained
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 small red chilli sliced
- pinch dried chilli flakes
- fresh cilantro (coriander) to garnish
- sour cream to serve used reduced fat for slimming version
- lime wedges to serve
- Put the flour on a plate and mix with the ground cumin. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Toss the beef cubes in the flour to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the beef, in batches, until nicely coloured. Transfer the beef to your slow cooker.
- Deglaze the pan with a little stock and scrape any browned bits. Add those to the beef.
- Heat remaining oil and fry the onion, garlic, peppers and green chilli for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano and chipotle paste and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sweet potatoes. Stir everything together.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7 hours.
- Stir in the corn and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and add the chopped chilli, coriander and chilli flakes.