This slow cooker teriyaki chicken is going to become your favourite chicken dinner! Incredibly easy to prepare, packed with flavour and slimming friendly too.
You will also love my easy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DISCLOSURE
Let’s talk… EASY family meals. So easy they barely count as effort. So tasty that the kids ask for seconds. Are you ready? We have a new winner in my crockpot teriyaki chicken!
I managed to do something silly to my shoulder recently – suspect I was being overly ambitious at yoga – and I can’t spend ages chopping and cooking for the time being.
I have turned to my slow cooker to create easy meals that basically are “dump and start” wonders. This chicken teriyaki rivals my favourite takeout meal and it is surprisingly diet friendly too.
Here’s what you will need
- Onions – two large ones sliced very thinly. You can use frozen sliced onions for ease if your chopping arm hurts – ouch!
- Minced garlic and ginger – again you can buy tubes of garlic and ginger paste in a pinch, although fresh is definitely tastier
- Salt and garlic granules
- Balsamic and rice wine vinegar – replace with soy sauce and cider vinegar if you need to!
- Teriyaki sauce
- Skinless chicken breasts – or you can use chicken thighs if preferred
- Errr… that’s it!
How to make slow cooker teriyaki chicken
Take a look at this step by step tutorial – please note you will find the full recipe, including ingredients in the recipe card at the end of this post.
STEP 1 Add the sliced onions to your slow cooker to create a “bed” for your chicken. The onions will melt into the sauce so don’t be scared by the amount!
STEP 2 Sprinkle with the salt and garlic powder. Add the minced garlic, ginger, balsamic and rice wine vinegar and teriyaki sauce. Give everything a good stir.
STEP 3 Add the chicken breasts and coat in the sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. The chicken should be perfectly tender if pierced with a fork.
STEP 4 Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred using two forks.
STEP 5 Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to combine into the sauce. Cook for another hour on HIGH.
STEP 6 Check the seasoning and serve over rice with chopped spring onions and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Slimming chicken dinner – winner!
This deliciously tender chicken is the perfect Slimming World fakeaway at only just over 2 syns per portion!
Make sure to serve it with some extra veggies on the side such as steamed broccoli or spinach.
Replace the rice with quinoa or cauliflower rice, serve in wraps or as a teriyaki chicken slider in a wholemeal bun.
There’s under 300 calories and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints per serving, without any sides.
JOIN MY SLIMMING RECIPES GROUP I have created a dedicated Facebook group for slimming recipe ideas, tips and support. Would love to see you there!
Storing and Freezing instructions
Keep the cooled chicken in the fridge for up to three days – it’s such a great stand by meal!
Transfer the cooled chicken into a freezer-friendly container, label and freeze up to three months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat on the stove or microwave until piping hot all the way through.
Make a “Dump Bag”
Combine all the (fresh) ingredients and place in a large freezer-safe ziplock bag, expelling all air before sealing. Label with the cooking instructions and use within one month.
Thaw the bag completely in the fridge overnight before cooking in the slow cooker – do not cook from frozen!
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- 2 large onions , sliced thinly
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves , minced or ½ tbsp garlic paste
- Thumb sized piece fresh ginger , grated or ½ tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar replace with low sodium soy sauce if preferred
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar (Mirin) or apple cider vinegar
- 200 g (7 oz) Teriyaki sauce
- 6 large skinless chicken breasts – or 10 skinless chicken thighs
- 6 spring onions (scallions) finely sliced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
- Add the sliced onions to your slow cooker to create a “bed” for your chicken. The onions will melt into the sauce so don’t be scared by the amount!
- Sprinkle with the salt and garlic powder. Add the minced garlic, ginger, balsamic and rice wine vinegar and teriyaki sauce. Give everything a good stir.
- Add the chicken breasts and coat in the sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred using two forks.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to combine into the sauce. Cook for another hour on HIGH.
- Check the seasoning and serve over rice with chopped spring onions and a sprikling of sesame seeds.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SUPERGOLDEN BAKES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. IF YOU WISH TO SHARE THIS RECIPE, THEN PLEASE DO SO BY USING THE SHARE BUTTONS PROVIDED. DO NOT SCREENSHOT / POST RECIPE OR CONTENT IN FULL.FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA