I woke up this morning to a funny sound. A low-rent horror film howling wind sound… which only made me want to snuggle further down the duvet.
Turns out the sound was not in my head but actual wind, actually howling outside. Snowflakes were sighted – very briefly – much to the excitement of the children.
Winter has definitely come a-knocking and all I want to do is lounge in front of the fire, snuggle under blankets and eat nothing but comfort food. Just as well it is the weekend and I have comfort food on tap thanks to a hearty stew I made in my Crockpot.
This is stew is part of a challenge – several food bloggers each contributing an ingredient to a collective Crockpot slow cooker recipe – my contribution being butternut squash.
I must admit that I actually strayed pretty far from the recipe supplied, mostly because I wanted to publish a vegetarian slow cooker dish after many meaty options on the blog. The resulting stew is very tasty and filling and almost embarrassingly easy to throw together.
MORE VEGAN RECIPES TO TRY!
- Pressure cooker sweet potato, chickpea and red lentil soup
- 10 minute pressure cooker vegan curry
- Vegan spiced carrot, parsnip and chickpea soup
- Spinach, Coconut and Zucchini Soup
- Lentil, sweet potato and kale soup
HAVE YOU MADE MY SLOW COOKER SQUASH, BEAN & KALE STEW?
Slow Cooker Squash, Bean and Kale Stew and a Crockpot Giveaway
- 470 ml | 2 cups hot vegetable stock
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 1 large red onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 red chilli seeded and very finely diced
- 200 g | 7oz curly Kale finely chopped
- 1 x400g | 14oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x400g | 14oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- plenty of finely chopped flat leaf parsley to serve
- Parmesan cheese to serve optional
- Drizzle the slow cooker bowl with the olive oil and add the garlic, onion, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste and beans.
- Sprinkle the sugar, paprika and dried herbs, add the chopped chilli and a generous pinch of salt.
- Pour the hot stock over everything and stir together. Cook for 4 hours on high.
- Add the kale and stir into the stew then cook for another hour on high.
- Season with salt (if needed) and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and Parmesan, if using, and serve with plenty of crusty bread.