Ribollita – Hearty Tuscan Vegetable Soup and a giveaway
- 960 ml | 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g | 14oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots peeled and cubed
- 3 celery sticks finely diced
- 2 leeks finely diced
- 1 onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 3 to matoes deseeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 large leaves cavolo nero tough stalk removed, finely diced
- 6 slices stale sourdough bread plus extra to serve
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, to rub on the bread
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch chilli flakes
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese to serve optional
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- finely chopped flat leaf parsley to serve
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot and sweat the carrots, celery, leeks, onions, garlic and bay leaves over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and paste and stir to combine. Add the stock, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. At this point you can purée 1/3 of the soup in a blender and return to the pot – but this is optional.
- Add the cavolo nero and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Rub the bread slices with the garlic and then chop into cubes. Divide the bread among your bowls and then ladle the hot soup over it.
- Sprinkle with the parsley and Parmesan if using and serve with extra bread on the side.