This Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup is like a hug in a bowl! This vegan soup is packed with vegetables, red lentils and coconut cream and spiced with curry powder and turmeric.
Post may contain affiliate links. For more information, check my disclosure
Is there anything more soothing and comforting than a big bowl of soup? I am a HUGE fan of vegetable soup and I never get tired of trying different variations on a theme.
Parsnip soup, carrot and parsnip soup, curried parsnip soup… ALL of these are personal faves and this velvety vegan Carrot and Parsnip soup combines them all.
It is the perfect fall soup and fancy enough to serve at a dinner party. Apart from the usual suspects – carrots and parsnips! – this filling soup also contains red lentils, apple and coconut milk.
You can drop the red lentils if you like – the soup will still be ultra filling without them. A drizzle of coconut milk before serving adds a lovely finishing touch. Serve with a slice of sourdough bread to complete the experience!
More Healthy Soups To Try
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Soup – this is, hands down, one of THE most popular recipes on the entire site!
- Spinach and Zucchini Soup – another winning vegan soup!
- Greek Lentil Soup – this hearty and purse friendly soup is a meal in itself. Serve with crusty bread!
- Red Lentil Soup – a lighter vegan soup inspired by Indian Dal.
HAVE YOU MADE MY CARROT AND PARSNIP SOUP RECIPE? Please leave a rating, post a photo on my Facebook page, share it on Instagram, or save it to Pinterest with the tag #supergoldenbakes and make my day!
Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup
- 2 onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 large parsnips peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 150 g | 5.3oz red lentils rinsed well
- 400 g | 14oz can light coconut milk
- 500 ml | 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander cilantro
- 1 tsp olive oil
- cayenne pepper optional
- Put the lentils in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20 minutes. Keep and eye on the pot as it WILL boil over – you have been warned. Once cooked, rinse and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and add the spices and garlic. Stir together for a couple of minutes and then add all the vegetables and apple. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the stock and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pot and stir in the lentils. Simmer for a couple of minutes and then stir in the chopped coriander. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkling of poppy seeds and a pinch cayenne pepper.